That seems like a good starting point.

Mike
----- Original Message -----
From: Nico Williams
To: Michael Ko
Cc: Paul Hoffman ; IPsecme WG
Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 2:17 PM
Subject: Re: [IPsec] Discovery (Was: Preparing a charter change for P2P VPN)

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 3:36 PM, Michael Ko <mich...@huaweisymantec.com>
wrote:
> I can live with the term "map-making" in referring to the functions
> provided
> by the centralized repository ("introducer") that I discussed in my
> earlier
> e-mail. Note that there is quite a bit of overlap between "map-making" and
> "discovery". In both cases, a node wants to find out "What ID and
> credential (certificate or PSK) will the peer show" and "What ID and
> credential should I show". For "discovery", there is also the need to find
> out "What other addresses does this gateway protect" (presumably all
> addresses protected by the gateway) whereas for "map-making", a node only
> wants to find out which nodes it is authorized to access. Also for
> "discovery", a node already knows that it "has a packet bound for host
> 194.29.35.43" before it contacts "the universe", whereas for "map-making",
> node does not necessarily know the IP address of the peer it wants to
> reach
> when it contacts the central repository.

For credentials it's easier to think in terms of administrative
domains, and the mapping operation is admin_domain->cert_store.  (I
say certificate store because the node may have multiple certificates
for different users' traffic, though this is not really common at all,
and will almost never happen on a mobile node, which is what needs
discovery.)

For target IP addresses... mapping addresses to administrative domains
will be the challenging task, particularly when private-use addressing
is involved (for example, one can't use the public DNS/DNSSEC for
discovery in that case).  For private-use addresses my instinct says
that each administrative domain should operate a lookup service and
that the node should have a domain precedence list, asking each domain
in turn until one claims the target address or all fail to claim it
(the lookups can be parallelized though).  For public-use addresses
the DNS (using DNSSEC) should be able to provide the answer.

As for nearest SG for a given administrative domain, well, I'm
thinking of anycasting and multicasting, as well as SRV RRs.

That's several operations then:

 - anycast/multicast to find topologically close SGs

 - DNS (SRV RR lookups) to find a domain's SGs

 - a protocol by which to ask a domain which SGs to use for
   specific addresses (probably as an IKEv2 extension as the
   SGs will know best)
   (this can double as the protocol for private-use address to
   admin. domain mapping)
   (this protocol should probably export IGP route metrics, with
   the SG having access to the IGP routing table, obviously)

 - DNS (w/ DNSSEC) to map public-use addresses to admin.
   domains

 - a local admin. domain -> cert [store] lookup operation

Or have I misunderstood the problem space?

Nico