Mark,

Thanks for stepping forward to help with the problem statement
and with reviewing the various drafts. In order to maximize the
open discussion of these drafts, I think it's best to conduct
these discussions on the public ipsec email list. Therefore,
I'll be posting a first draft of the problem statement ASAP
to get some discussion going.

For everyone's reference, the updated ipsecme charter is at
http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/ipsecme/charter
It now includes this text relating to the scalable VPN work:

---------

In an environment with many IPsec gateways and remote clients that share
an established trust infrastructure (in a single administrative domain
or across multiple domains), customers want to get on-demand
point-to-point IPsec capability for efficiency. However, this cannot be
feasibly accomplished only with today's IPsec and IKE due to problems
with address lookup, reachability, policy configuration, and so on.

The IPsecME Working Group will handle this large scale VPN problem by:

* Creating a problem statement document including use cases, definitions
and proper requirements for discovery and updates. This document would
be solution-agnostic.

* Publishing a common solution for the discovery and update problems
that will satisfy the requirements in the problem statement document.
The working group may standardize one of the vendor solutions, a
combination, an superset of such a solution, or a new protocol.

* Reviewing and help publish Informational documents describing current
vendor proprietary solutions.

---------

Thanks,

Steve