I'm not sure I understand the suggested resolution. The biggest barrier to
direct connectivity is that the responder may be behind NAT. Is this considered
a "routing issue"?  In any case, there are protocols for getting to a responder
behind a NAT. They work well enough that VoIP solutions work pretty much
everywhere where there isn't a firewall that's specifically targeting VoIP. I
think we should user them, adapt therm or profile them for IKE/IPsec, although
this does not necessarily belong in the solution document.

As for #214, I don't see how this is answered. If an gateway A would like to
contact a host behind gateway Z, and does so through gateway B, must gateway B
provide the addresses for gateway Z, or can it give the address of gateway D,
which will then provide the address of gateway Z?  IOW, must redirection be
1-step?

Yoav