On Oct 16, 2012, at 5:14 AM, Paul Wouters wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Oct 2012, Paul Hoffman wrote:
>
>> Greetings again. draft-ietf-ipsecme-ike-tcp-00.txt has been out for over a
>> month and has received no discussion. Please review this short draft and
>> comment on the mailing list.
>
> Thanks for the reminder.
>
> I've read the draft and discussed it in Vancouver as well. I'm in favour
> of adopting it.

Well, you got it. It's already a working group draft.

> I know no one wants to define this for IKEv1, but I'd still prefer to
> keep this in sync between IKEv1 and IKEv2.

I agree, and there's nothing stopping you (or me) from implementing this for
IKEv1, but the group has spoken. See similar discussions about Brainpool curves.

> I don't neccessarilly agree with the 1.1 non-goals. While I understand
> this is not done primarily to avoid administrative filters, I see no
> reason why to go out of our way to make it easy to filter IKE/IPsec.
> If IKE could signal a TCP port along with the IKE_TCP_SUPPORTED payload
> this would allow people so more freedom with running on different ports,
> or even kickstarting IKE over another protocol (instant message,
> whatever). I think the two octets are well spent for this.

True. But do you think it's a common case, where the responder is behind a
filter that drops TCP port 500, but that responder knows of a different port
that is open? I suppose the responder could be behind some NAT device with the
ability to map a forwarded port on the NAT device. I guess this makes sense.
But then you have the initiator opening a connection to a random port. That has
a far greater chance of getting filtered on the initiator side (firewalls tend
to drop what they don't recognize).

At least in our firewall, FTP got special treatment - the control connection is
monitored to recognize and allow the ports that are used by the data
connections, but I don't think we can expect the firewall makers repeat this
effort for IKE with random ports.

> Should the initiator also send IKE_TCP_SUPPORTED to the responder? The
> initiator/responder roles could switch around at rekey, and it would
> be useful to the initial responder (now initiator) whether or not it
> can or should just start with TCP. Although it could deduce this from
> having received a connection on TCP in the previous exchange. I'm not
> sure on this one.

I guess, but rekey doesn't require TCP, as it doesn't have the IKE_AUTH
exchange. It may be useful so that next time the original responder can begin
the Initial exchange with TCP.