While I agree with you in general, I think that IKE has its own peculiarity,
that makes things a bit different.

There is a difference between IPv6 and IPv4. In IPv6 one can assume,
that packets below 1280 bytes will not be fragmented en route. This leaves
enough room
to make IKE level fragmentation and be sure, that no IP fragmentation will take
place.
With IPv4 any IP packet greater 68 bytes is fragmentable. Due to IKE message
construction restrictions you cannot make IKE fragments that small,
so you always have a possibility, that packets will still be fragmented by IP
level.
If you send them with DF=1 and intermediate device still wants to fragment them,
then you will just prevent IKE to succeed with 100% probability. If in this
case DF=0,
then it might work.

If, as you suggest, originating host performs IP fragmentation and sends IP
fragments
with DF=1, then we have exactly the problem the draft is intended to solve -
the presence of IP fragments on the whole path. Draft introduces IKE-level
fragmentation
to avoid IP fragmentation whenever possible and to only let it be if it is
impossible. But if it
is unavoidable, then there are more chances for IKE to work if IP fragments
exist
only on the part of the path, i.e. when fragmentation is done by intermediate
device.