On Apr 1, 2014, at 1:46 PM, Paul Wouters <p...@nohats.ca> wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Mar 2014, internet-dra...@ietf.org wrote:
>
>> Subject: [IPsec] I-D Action: draft-ietf-ipsecme-esp-ah-reqts-03.txt

>> http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-ipsecme-esp-ah-reqts-03
>
> So one of the changes is:
>
> - SHOULD+ AES-GCM [RFC4106]
> + SHOULD+ AES-GCM with a 16 octet ICV [RFC4106]
>
> While I'm happy with that change (I argued for it to not using the
> truncated ICV versions), the document now makes no statement about those
> other ICV variants. RFC 4106 states:
>
>       The ICV consists solely of the AES-GCM Authentication Tag.
>       Implementations MUST support a full-length 16-octet ICV, and MAY
>       support 8 or 12 octet ICVs, and MUST NOT support other ICV lengths.
>
> Me personally, and one of the authors of 4106 (John Viega) would like to
> see those other ICV's moved to SHOULD NOT. Since these are MAY in 4106,
> and not mentioned in this draft, they would remain MAY.

That was the intention: MAY. "SHOULD NOT" somewhat indicates a belief that the
crypto has degraded, and that is not the case here.

> I also wonder about:
>
>       "It is NOT RECOMMENDED to use ESP with NULL authentication
>        in conjunction with AH"
>
> Why do we now say "NOT RECOMMENDED" instead of continuing to talk in
> RFC4835 terms? eg:
>
>       ESP with NULL authentication MUST NOT be used in conjunction
>       with AH.
>
> If we go through the effort of stating such deployments are insecure,
> which we do in the next line, we might as well clearly tell implementors
> not to do this. "not recommended" does not say "don't do this".

RFC 4835 does not say that ESP with NULL MUST NOT be used with AH. It waffles.

> language nits:
>
> As a non-native english speaker, "efficacy" was not clear to me, and
> almost read as "efficiency". So I would change "undermines the efficacy
> of encryption". Maybe something like just "undermines the trustworthiness
> the encryption" (although that sounds a bit Colbert like :)
>
> s/perfers/prefers

I'll make these changes in -04. It turns out I need to do a rev anyway because
I forgot to list the new DES "MUST NOT" in the changes summary.

--Paul Hoffman