Hi Steve,

Many thanks once again for the feedback and text suggestion!

(adding ipsec folks in CC)

| I am happy if the tittle changes to "IKEv2-based Shared Secret Key for
| O/TWAMP".

Already changed in my local copy, and I will update the slides for this
afternoon accordingly.

| I suggest the following text:
| In many cases, protecting unauthenticated O/TWAMP traffic using IPsec
| security services is sufficient and provides the easiest solution to
| secure sensitive traffic including O/TWAMP control and/or test traffic
| and hide the O/TWAMP endpoint services from the external network with
| IPsec tunnel mode for instance. This new mode is intended for the
| following cases:
| 1) when O/TWAMP traffic is bypassing IPsec protection and is running
| over an external network exactly between two IKEv2 systems (maybe we
| should elaborate on why this might be needed)
| 2) when double protection is needed (should we drop this case and
| recommend to avoid it?)

How about the following, instead:

We note that protecting unauthenticated O/TWAMP traffic using IPsec security
services is sufficient in many cases. That said, protecting unauthenticated
O/TWAMP control and/or test traffic via AH or ESP cannot provide various
security modes and cannot authenticate part of a O/TWAMP packet as mentioned in
<xref target="RFC4656"/>. In real-world deployments this may hinder timestamp
accuracy. This document describes how to derive the shared secret key from the
IKEv2 SA and employ the security service at the O/TWAMP layer. This method
SHOULD be used when O/TWAMP traffic is bypassing IPsec protection and is
running over an external network exactly between two IKEv2 systems.

If this is ok, I can update the draft on the datatracker before lunch, and then
we discuss the two points below during the meeting in the afternoon.

| IMO this mode should use the same "rekeying behavior" as defined in
| IKEv2 i.e. if a new IKE SA is established to carry the IKE traffic
| before the keys expires and the old SA is then deleted, then I suggest
| a new TWAMP test session is established and the old test session is
| closed before the keys expires.

We had a short chat with Emma and it seems that although the (O/TWAMP) shared
secret key is derived from IKEv2 SA it is in fact a _separate key at the
O/TWAMP layer_. That would mean that it's not necessary to update the shared
secret key before it expires, even though a new IKEv2 SA is established. Doing
so will disrupt the ongoing test session. So we do not see much benefit from a
measurements pov.

| I still think one mode is sufficient.

I guess we still think that backwards compatibility is a good thing :)

Best regards,

Kostas