On Tue, 30 Sep 2014, Tero Kivinen wrote:

5) Each connections are usually quite long lived, i.e. devices make
one connection to the gateway, and keep that connection up all the
time, or at least very long time.

Can I have a pony with that? :)

My experience is seeing many many short lives connections. Stupidly
short, sucking the life out of the battery short.

6) Gateway can use IKEv2 redirect to distribute the attackers, i.e. it
could even use some cloud service which provides first level
protection

Interesting, but very scary....

Also the gateway can blacklist all failed attempts by clients, i.e. do
not accept new connections from the same IP-address for some amount of
seconds, or move them to end of queue.

That's too easy a DOS to abuse.

So I think the solution is something we can get working, and it will
be combination of differnet protocols we already have, and some new
protocols like the puzzle, and then it also includes description how
to combine all of those.

Moar bells and whistles! :)

Paul