> On May 9, 2015, at 7:32 PM, Yaron Sheffer <yaronf.i...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Yoav,
>
> First, I raised a third concern, which is that allowing the client to decide
> on the difficulty of the puzzle it is willing to solve adds unneeded
> complexity. Basically the client doesn't have enough information to make a
> good decision.
>
> To answer your question, I think we've already been down this path and
> reducing the variance is certainly a good thing.

I’m sure that less variance is better than more variance, but that comes at the
expense of more work for the responder. So do we set the number of returned
results to 1, with minimal work for the responder and maximum variance?  Do we
set it to 8, with a nice balance between fairness and responder work?  Do we
set it to 64, with a huge packet, a lot of responder work and maximum fairness?
 Or do we let the responder decide and communicate through the challenge, which
has some complexity cost?