This is exactly what happens when you using NAT-T in normal case too.
I.e. if the responder looses state, it cannot do anything until
initiator reconnects.

What do you mean by state here? SA? It is not so easy for attacker
to force responder loose its SA. If the responder is rebooted than
it probably looses all the upper level connections with the initiator
and has nothing to send.

On the other hand, such situation may appear if NAT in between
deletes its mapping. The NAT keepalives messages from the initiator
will quickly create a new one, however the responder won't use
new ports until it receives a cryptographically protected message
from the initiator. This situation is similar to what I described.