Hi Paul,

> On Jun 23, 2016, at 6:55 PM, Panos Kampanakis (pkampana) <pkamp...@cisco.com>
> wrote:
>
> Introducing quantum computer resistance in IKEv2 helps to avoid the
> implications of having sec admins that want to have quantum computer
> resistance revert back to IKEv1 with shared secrets. The draft adds quantum
> resistance using todays infrastructure. The qkd draft introduced a way to add
> quantum resistance, but it came with many different challenges of how
> practical it is and how costly it would be to introduce a QKD network.
> Instead, draft-fluhrer-qr-ikev2 uses a more practical approach that could be
> implemented and employed easily. Scott almost has a working PoC ready, I
> believe. There are details that need to be hashed out in the group, like what
> to do with identity hiding, but the draft is practical and can be introduced
> quickly and in a backwards compatible way to IKEv2.
>
> Panos

Because QKD is not a practical system for Internet security.   It has serious
security issues/challenges and operational limitations on bitrate, range, and
physical media.   It requires a point to point optical link, which is typically
dedicated fiber, which must be shorter than 60 miles.  There are security
issues with QKD because it relies on a physical interaction across the line
between the encrypter and decrypter, thus giving an attacker the opportunity to
perform an attack on the physical process anywhere on that line.   See for
instance Brassard et. al. Security Aspects of Practical Quantum Cryptography,
Lydersen et. al., Hacking commercial quantum cryptography systems by tailored
bright illumination, or Gerhardt et. al., Full-field implementation of a
perfect eavesdropper on a quantum cryptography system.   Another major security
problem is the range limitation; it has been proposed to extend the range of
QKD by using a chain of trusted repeaters, each connected by a QKD syst
 em.  These repeaters would greatly increase the attack surface, and require
the end user to trust the infrastructure provider(s); in contrast, the Internet
community wants end to end encryption, as described in RFC3365 and RFC7624.

In contrast, QR-IKEv2 can be used to add postquantum security between any two
points on the globe, without requiring dedicated fiber, and without requiring
physical layer security assumptions.   It has *fewer* security assumptions than
draft-nagayama-ipsecme-ipsec-with-qkd, as that draft relies on the security of
symmetric cryptography and the physical layer, whereas QR-IKEv2 relies only on
the former.

thanks

David