Scott Fluhrer (sfluhrer) <sfluh...@cisco.com> wrote:
    > - Simplicity; how large of a change to IKE (and IKE implementations)
    > are we willing to contemplate?

    > o My opinion: minimizing changes to IKE should be given high priority,
    > both because “complexity is the enemy of security” and this is a short
    > term solution; if we have a solution that we can’t implement in a few
    > years, well, we might as well wait for the crypto people to give us the
    > long term one.

Still, I'd like to know what the properties are of the cryptographically long
term solution.    It seems to me, having read your email and a few of the
documents that the long-term solutions are architecturally least disruptive,
and the short-term "hacks" are more disruptive.

Is this a fair characterisation?

Or could we introduce some things now that would make "dropping in" a
replacement easier?

    > - Preserving existing IKE properties; how important is it that our
    > solution do not induce any weaknesses in IKE against an adversary with
    > a convention computer; that is, whatever we do, we must not make things
    > worse?

    > o My opinion: I’m pretty sure that we’ll all agree that this is
    > important (except for possibly the identity protection, see below); I
    > just want to state this as something we need to remember.

Yes, very very important.

    > - What do we feel needs to protected from someone with a Quantum
    > Computer? Do we feel the need to protect only the IPsec traffic, or do
    > we need to protect the IKE traffic as well.

    > o My opinion: I’m going to abstain on this one, except to note that
    > protecting only the IPsec traffic allows for a rather simple
    > implementation; now, if the WG decides that protecting the IKE traffic
    > is important, this simplicity is irrelevant.

I think it depends upon what the affect on the IKE traffic is.

    > - What level of identity protection do we need to provide? If two
    > different IKE negotiations use the same shared secret, do we mind if
    > someone can deduce that?

    > o My opinion: identity protection in IKE is rather overrated; I suspect
    > there’s enough in the data exchange that an advanced adversary (how can
    > look at things such as packet length and packet timings) is likely to
    > get a fairly decent guess regardless.

I think you didn't answer the question you posed.
You asked, "different IKE negotiations use the same shared secret, do we mind if
           someone can deduce that?"

which I don't think it strictly about identity protection.
I also think that leaking the identity of a mobile end point effectively
could be painting a target on them.  Consider how much effort is going into
IPv6 privacy extensions.

    > - PPK management; how much support do we provide for automatically
    > managing the secrets?

    > o My opinion: we already have preshared keys in IKE, and we don’t
    > define any particular management scheme for them (even though they are
    > used quite often in practice). I don’t see why we need to go out of our
    > way when it comes to these postquantum secrets.

    > - How much support do we provide for nonstatic secrets, for example, by
    > QKD, or via something like HIMMO (a key distribution mechanism that
    > appears to be post quantum)?

    > o My opinion: I’d prefer it if we didn’t spend a great deal of time
    > trying to come up with a solution that covers everything. However, if
    > we could include a hook that these schemes could take advantage of
    > (such as an opaque identifier that’s passed that has meaning to the PPK
    > manager), that might be reasonable.

Yes, I agree.

    > - Authentication; if someone with a Quantum Computer can break the DH
    > in real time, do we care if he can act as a man-in-the-middle?

    > o My opinion: this draft is here mainly to protect
    > ‘store-and-decrypt-later’ attacks, and so this attack isn’t as large of
    > a concern. On the other hand, we may very well get this for free; if we
    > include our ‘post quantum secret’ as an input to the KDF, then an
    > active attacker is foiled just like a passive attacker.

I think that this is important, if we can do it without getting into IKEv1
PSK stupids.

    > - Algorithm agility; how important is it that we negotiate any
    > cryptoprimitives involved?

    > o My opinion: this is of lesser importance, as this is a short term
    > solution. On the other hand, I am quite aware that others on this list
    > would disagree with me…

    > Well, here’s my list of requirements (and my opinions); did I miss any
    > requirement that you think is important? What are you opinions about
    > these requirements?

We have to be able to negotiate to use of these extensions.
I want to suggest something further: that we might want to negotiate use of
some of these extensions as a *rekey* of a "conventional" IKEv2 PARENT.
I.e. even the use of these extensions might be too big a red flag.

 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-