> > > This way if you have originally configured company1.com to the
> > > internal dns names, and then company decides to buy another company
> > > called company2.com, teh client can still request company1.com and
> > > server can return both company1.com and company2.com in its reply.
> > > Then it is up to the client whether it will belive the list or not.
> >
> > Why the client would ever not believe to the information from the
> > authenticated server? I'd go further and say that the initiator MUST
> > use the received internal DNS servers for all the requests within
> > the received INTERNAL_DNS_DOMAIN (as you proposed before).
>
> The level of trust might not be complete. I.e., if my laptop is
> connecting to both my own VPN gateway, and also one of our partners
> VPN gateway, I might trust the VPN gateway of our my company even if
> it claims to provide trusted DNS delegation for .com...
>
> I might not want to trust the VPN gateway of our partner claiming to
> be authorative for mycompany.com, i.e., I will have policy limiting
> what is accepted from the gateway.
>
> Also when using opportunistic authentication we might want to have
> even strictier policies.

OK, then it contradicts with your own comment that all requests to
INTERNAL_DNS_DOMAIN MUST be done using internal DNS server.
Quoting your message:

        I think the 1st point (I.e. all requests about internal names go to
        the internal servers) is something that is important for security, so
        it should perhaps be MUST.

At least it must be clarified.