Hi, Éric.  Please see inline.

> On 11 Oct 2019, at 10:02, Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <nore...@ietf.org>
> wrote:
>
> Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
> draft-ietf-ipsecme-implicit-iv-07: Discuss

> introductory paragraph, however.)

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ipsecme-implicit-iv/

> DISCUSS:
>
> Thank you for the work put into this document. I am trusting the security AD
> check whether it is safe not to have a 'random' IV.

I’m sure they will, but as an explanation, some algorithms require a random IV.
Examples are AES in CBC mode. Other algorithms do not require a random IV, but
do require a unique IV. The documents describing such algorithms recommend
using either a simple counter or an LFSR to generate the IV. Examples are AES
in counter mode and ChaCha20.  Our draft specifies IIV only for the latter kind
of algorithms.

> I have one trivial-to-fix
> DISCUSS and a couple of COMMENTs.
>
> It is also unclear at first sight whether the 'nonce' built from the sequence
> number is actually the IIV.

Although they use the same fields, the literature tends to call the random kind
an "Initialization Vector" and the must-not-repeat kind a “Nonce”.  In IPsec
the field is called IV, so there is some confusion in the terms.

> Regards,
>
> -éric
>
> == DISCUSS ==
>
> -- Section 1 --
> D.1) Please use the RFC 8174 template ;)

Right, our bad.  This is probably because this document has been making the
rounds for over 3 years. Will fix.

> COMMENT:
>
> == COMMENTS ==
> -- Section 5 --
> C.1) "inside the SA Payload" probably worth being a little more descriptive
> here (for instance, "SA payload in the IKE exchange" ?).  Also suggest to use
> "IKE Initiator Behavior" for the section title.

OK

> -- Section 8 --
> C.2) please use the usual text for IANA considerations (notably asking IANA to
> register as this is not this document that registers the codes).

Yes, since we received early assignment I think we should go with the “IANA has
assigned the following values…” text, and leave a reminder that the reference
should be updated.

> == NITS ==
>
> In several places, s/8 byte nonce/8-byte nonce/

Will fix.