HI Roman,

Thanks for the feed back.

Please find my response inline as well as the updated text:
https://github.com/mglt/draft-mglt-ipsecme-implicit-iv/blob/master/draft-ietf-ipsecme-implicit-iv.txt

We will probably publish the new version by tomorrow.

Yours,
Daniel

On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 8:11 AM Roman Danyliw via Datatracker <
nore...@ietf.org> wrote:

> Roman Danyliw has entered the following ballot position for
> draft-ietf-ipsecme-implicit-iv-07: No Objection

> introductory paragraph, however.)

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ipsecme-implicit-iv/

> COMMENT:
>
> ** I support the DISCUSS position held by Ben Kaduk.  (Derived from Magnus
> Nystrom’s SECDIR review) The abstract, Section 2, Section 4 and Section 7
> make
> references to AES-GCM, AES-CCM, AES-CTR and ChaCha20-Poly1305 (four
> algorithms).  However, Section 4 also states “This document solely defines
> the
> IV generation of the algorithms defined in [RFC4106] for AES-GCM,
> [RFC4309] for
> AES-CCM and [RFC7634] for ChaCha20-Poly1305” (i.e., AES-CTR is missing).
> Likewise, no new code point is assigned for AES-CTR in Section 8.  If
> AES-CTR
> is not in scope, then please don’t mention it in the draft.  If it was
> missed
> from Section 4 and 8, please add it.

The same construction applies to CTR but none pushed for having it. As we
are moving to AEAD encryption we did not feel the need to assign a code
point that was not used for sure.

We remove CTR and the text above includes CTR is there is a need to assign
some code points in the future:
"""
Other algorithms with similar properties may later be defined to use
similar mechanism.
"""

That said, re-reading the document, we provide some explanation on CBC, so
the current version explains why we are excluding CTR. This could be also
removed, if you prefer, I do not have strong preferences.

> ** Section 7. I’m having difficulty reconciling these two sentences:
>
> (1)  Nonce generation for these algorithms has not been explicitly
> defined.”
>
> (2) This document provides an explicit and normative way to generate IVs.
>
> Isn’t this text saying the Nonce = Sequence number = IV?

Though I admit we could have been clearer and we will clarify the text. I
have also provided more details in the response to Magnus - which was not
sent at the time I am writing this response. The algorithms take a nonce as
input. This nonce when used with IPsec is generated based on the IV value
found in each ESP packet. Our document details how the IV value can be
derived when the ESP packet does not provide the IV. In this case, the
value associated to the IV is derived from the sequence number read in the
ESP packet.

Note also that GCM as defined by SP800-38D defines what we call nonce as
IV, but RFC 4106 clarifies that GCM.IV = nonce.

** Section 7.  Editorial. s/the IV is not allowed being repeated for one