> On Jan 8, 2020, at 04:41, Mirja Kuehlewind <i...@kuehlewind.net> wrote:
>

>> I think one or two RTT is too short, moreover since it's an initial request,
>> no RTT is yet measured (IKEv2 uses UDP as primary transport).
>> We try here to be in line with core IKEv2 spec, which deliberately
>> doesn't give any concrete figures of how long to wait for an response
>> (section 2.4 of RFC7296). So, I'd leave the text as is.
>
> Kind of same here. Given you two disagree here already, I think it would be
> good to give further advise.

I agree with Valerie. We don’t do that on purpose. A 100gbps connection is
different from a satellite connection. Let the implementation handle that part.

>> I agree with Panos: the downgrade is possible only if using PPK is optional
>> for both, in which case both parties agree that downgrade is OK.
>
> Having some downgrade detection would enable to log an attack if optional PPK
> was used.

That would be lost in the noise when using mixed ppl/noppk use I think. As
said, one is expected to only allow noppk during migration, which would be very
limited in time (like hours or days for static tunnels, maybe weeks or a few
months for remote access VPN updates to happen)

Paul