Hmm, it used to be that if you are subscribed to one IETF list, you can
post to any of them. That does not seem to work for the ipsec list :/

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Paul Wouters <paul.wout...@aiven.io>
Date: Sun, Jul 11, 2021 at 11:34 PM
Subject: Re: [IPsec] I-D Action:
draft-kampati-ipsecme-ikev2-sa-ts-payloads-opt-05.txt
To: Panwei (William) <william.pan...@huawei.com>
Cc: ipsec@ietf.org <ipsec@ietf.org>

On Mon, 5 Jul 2021, Panwei (William) wrote:

Hi Wei Pan,

> According to the discussion on the mailing list, I update the draft to
version 05. In this version, I deleted the unnecessary considerations for
the configuration changes. For now, the solution is very simple and just
includes the negotiation at creating IKE SAs and optimization at rekeying
IKE and Child SAs.

> Comments and feedbacks are more than welcome.

It is lookger much better and simpler, but I still had a few issues and
wanted to make the document a bit shorter and clearer.  I made some
changes for your consideration. I've attached an updated xml and txt file
in case you would like to use my changes. The changes are:

- Reduced the text that was used to explain a lot of IKEv2 basics.

Instead, a reference to IKEv2 should be enough. This greatly simplifies
the text.

- Remove the parts about "changed configuration".

If the crypto parameters have changed, you SHOULD NOT use REKEY. RFC 7296
says this:

    In Section 2.8, "Note that, when rekeying, the new Child SA MAY have
    different Traffic Selectors and algorithms than the old one" was
    changed to "Note that, when rekeying, the new Child SA SHOULD NOT
    have different Traffic Selectors and algorithms than the old one".

So if the configuration has changed, you should not do any kind of REKEY,
whether it is OPTIMIZED or not. You should do a re-authentication (in
other words, a new IKE from scratch)

- IKE REKEY MUST contain KE, because RFC 7296 says:

    The main reason for rekeying the IKE SA is to ensure that the
    compromise of old keying material does not provide information about
    the current keys, or vice versa.  Therefore, implementations MUST
    perform a new Diffie-Hellman exchange when rekeying the IKE SA.  In
    other words, an initiator MUST NOT propose the value "NONE" for the
    Diffie-Hellman transform, and a responder MUST NOT accept such a
    proposal.  This means that a successful exchange rekeying the IKE SA
    always includes the KEi/KEr payloads.

- Removed: It also helps to avoid IP fragmentation of IKEv2 messages

I don't think this is actually true, since on rekey there are no required
CERT payloads, which is the vast majority of the payload size in IKE_AUTH
that causes fragmentation.

- Changed MINIMUM_REKEY{_SUPPORTED} to OPTIMIZED_REKEY{_SUPPORTED}

This matches better with the OPTIMIZED_REKEY notify. Also, I find that
"minimum" is a little confusing. It could mean "minimum lifetime" or
"minimum of the previous one". I find "optimized" covers this better
than "minium".

- Shortened titles

For improved readability of Table of Contents

- Some grammar and style

Open questions to the working group:

1) Should the SUPPORTED notify mean that peers MAY use this method or MUST
    use this method? There could be a use for making it MUST, as a peer
    could then eventually stop supporting the "old method". Initiators
    would know by the lack of the notify that they might not be able to
    rekey in the old way, and must add/delete or re-auth the SA.

2) Alternatively, the SUPPORTED notify could have a payload that signifies
    whether the old method is supported or not.

3) Should we look at supporting rekeying multiple Child SAs at once? Or
    should we tell people they should have used additional Traffic
    Selectors and combined the Child SAs into one ?

4) When a Child SA was negotiated with PFS, what should an optimized rekey
    do when there is no KE payload? Send INVALID_KE_PAYLOAD ?

Paul

> Regards & Thanks!
> Wei Pan

IPSECME Working Group                                         S. Kampati
Internet-Draft                                                    W. Pan
Intended status: Standards Track                                  Huawei
Expires: 12 January 2022                                      M. Bharath
                                                                 Mavenir
                                                                 M. Chen
                                                                    CMCC

            IKEv2 Optional SA&TS Payloads in Child Exchange
           draft-kampati-ipsecme-ikev2-sa-ts-payloads-opt-05

Abstract

   This document describes a method for reducing the size of the
   Internet Key Exchange version 2 (IKEv2) CREATE_CHILD_SA exchanges
   used for rekeying of the IKE or Child SA by replacing the SA and TS
   payloads with a Notify Message payload.  Reducing size and complexity
   of IKEv2 exchanges is especially useful for low power consumption
   battery powered devices.

Status of This Memo

   This Internet-Draft is submitted in full conformance with the
   provisions of BCP 78 and BCP 79.

   Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
   Task Force (IETF).  Note that other groups may also distribute
   working documents as Internet-Drafts.  The list of current Internet-
   Drafts is at https://datatracker.ietf.org/drafts/current/.

   Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
   and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
   time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
   material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

   This Internet-Draft will expire on 12 January 2022.

Copyright Notice

   Copyright (c) 2021 IETF Trust and the persons identified as the
   document authors.  All rights reserved.

   This document is subject to BCP 78 and the IETF Trust's Legal
   Provisions Relating to IETF Documents (https://trustee.ietf.org/
   license-info) in effect on the date of publication of this document.
   Please review these documents carefully, as they describe your rights

Kampati, et al.          Expires 12 January 2022                [Page 1]

Internet-Draft     IKEv2 Optional Child SA&TS Payloads         July 2021

   and restrictions with respect to this document.  Code Components
   extracted from this document must include Simplified BSD License text
   as described in Section 4.e of the Trust Legal Provisions and are
   provided without warranty as described in the Simplified BSD License.

Table of Contents

   1.  Introduction  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   2
   2.  Conventions Used in This Document . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   3
     2.1.  Requirements Language . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   3
   3.  Negotiation of Support for OPTIMIZED REKEY  . . . . . . . . .   3
   4.  Optimized Rekey of the IKE SA . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   4
   5.  Optimized Rekey of Child SAs  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   5
   6.  Payload Formats . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   5
     6.1.  OPTIMIZED_REKEY_SUPPORTED Notify  . . . . . . . . . . . .   5
     6.2.  OPTIMIZED_REKEY Notify  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   6
   7.  IANA Considerations . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   6
   8.  Operational Considerations  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   7
   9.  Security Considerations . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   7
   10. Acknowledgments . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   7
   11. Normative References  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   7
   Authors' Addresses  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   7

1.  Introduction

   The Internet Key Exchange protocol version 2 (IKEv2) [RFC7296] is
   used to negotiate Security Association (SA) parameters for the IKE SA
   and the Child SAs.  Cryptographic key material for these SAs have a
   limited lifetime before it needs to be refreshes, a process referred
   to as "rekeying".  IKEv2 uses the CREATE_CHILD_SA exchange to rekey
   either the IKE SA or the Child SAs.

   When rekeying, a full set of previously negotiated parameters are
   exchanged.  However, most of these parameters will be the same, and
   some of these parameters MUST be the same.

   For example, the Traffic Selector (TS) negotiated for the new Child
   SA MUST cover the Traffic Selectors negotiated for the old Child SA.
   And in practically all cases, a new Child SA would not need to cover
   more Traffic Selectors.  In the rare case where this would be needed,
   a new Child SA could be negotiatied instead of the current Child SA
   being rekeyed.  Similarly, IKEv2 states that the cryptographic
   parameters negotiated for rekeying SHOULD NOT be different.  This
   means that the security properties of the IKE or Child SA in practise
   do not change during a typical rekey.

Kampati, et al.          Expires 12 January 2022                [Page 2]

Internet-Draft     IKEv2 Optional Child SA&TS Payloads         July 2021

   This document specifies a method to omit these parameters and replace
   them with a single Notify Message declaring that all these parameters
   are identical to the originally negotiated parameters.

   For security gateways/ePDG in 4G networks or cRAN/Cloud gateways in
   5G networks, gateways typically support more than 100,000 IKE/IPSEC
   tunnels.  At any point in time, there will be hundreds or thousands
   of IKE SAs and Child SAs that are being rekeyed.  This takes a large
   amount of bandwidth and CPU power and any protocol simplification or
   bandwidth reducing would result in an significant resource saving.

   For Internet of Things (IoT) devices which utilize low power
   consumption technology, reducing the size of rekey exchange reduces
   its power consumption, as sending bytes over the air is usually the
   most power consuming operation of such a device.  Reducing the CPU
   operations required to verify the rekey exchanges parameters will
   also save power and extend the lifetime for these devices.

   When using identical parameters during the IKE or Child SA rekey, the
   SA and TS payloads can be omited.  For an IKE SA rekey, instead of
   the (large) SA payload, only a Key Exchange (KE) payload and a new
   Notify Type payload with the new SPI is required.  For a Child SA
   payload, instead of the SA or TS payloads, only an optional Nonce
   payload (when using PFS) and a new Notify Type payload with the new
   SPI is needed.  This makes the rekey exchange packets much smaller
   and the peers do not need to verify that the SA or TS parameters are
   compatible with the old SA.

2.  Conventions Used in This Document

2.1.  Requirements Language

   The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
   "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "NOT RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and
   "OPTIONAL" in this document are to be interpreted as described in BCP
   14 [RFC2119] [RFC8174] when, and only when, they appear in all
   capitals, as shown here.

3.  Negotiation of Support for OPTIMIZED REKEY

   To indicate support for the optimized rekey negotiation, the
   initiator includes the OPTIMIZED_REKEY_SUPPORTED Notify payload in
   the IKE_AUTH exchange request.  A responder that supports the
   optimized rekey exchange inclues the OPTIMIZED_REKEY_SUPPORTED Notify
   payload in its response.  Note that the notify indiciates support for
   optimized rekey for both IKE and Child SAs.

Kampati, et al.          Expires 12 January 2022                [Page 3]

Internet-Draft     IKEv2 Optional Child SA&TS Payloads         July 2021

   When a peer wishes to rekey an IKE SA or Child SA, it MAY use the
   optimized rekey method during the CREATE_CHILD_SA exchange.  A
   responder MUST accept that the initiator uses a regular or optimized
   reey.

   The initiator indicates its support for optimizing payloads at
   rekeying IKE SAs and Child SAs by including a Notify payload of type
   MINIMAL_REKEY_SUPPORTED in the IKE_AUTH request message.  By
   observing the MINIMAL_REKEY_SUPPORTED notification in the received
   message, the responder can deduce the initiator's support of this
   extension.  If the responder also supports this extension, it
   includes the MINIMAL_REKEY_SUPPORTED notification in the
   corresponding response message.  After receiving the response
   message, the initiator can also know the support of this extension of
   the responder side.

   The IKE_AUTH message exchange in this case is shown below:

   Initiator                         Responder
   HDR, SK {IDi, [CERT,] [CERTREQ,]
       [IDr,] AUTH, SAi2, TSi, TSr,
       N(OPTIMIZED_REKEY_SUPPORTED)} -->
                                 <-- HDR, SK {IDr, [CERT,] AUTH,
                                         SAr2, TSi, TSr,
                                         N(OPTIMIZED_REKEY_SUPPORTED)}

   If the responder does not support this extension, as per regular
   IKEv2 processing, it MUST ignore the unknown Notify payload.  The
   initiator will notice the lack of the OPTIMIZED_REKEY_SUPPORTED
   Notify in the reply and thus know it cannot use the optimized rekey
   method.

   The IKE_AUTH message exchange in this case is shown below:

4.  Optimized Rekey of the IKE SA

   The initiator of an optimized rekey request sends a CREATE_CHILD_SA
   payload with the OPTIMIZED_REKEY notify payload containing the new
   Security Parameter Index (SPI) for the new IKE SA.  It omits the SA
   payload.

   The responder of an optimized rekey request performs the same
   process.  It includes the OPTIMIZED_REKEY notify with its new IKE SPI
   and omits the SA payload.

   Both parties send Nonce and KE payloads just as they would do for a
   regular IKE SA rekey.

Kampati, et al.          Expires 12 January 2022                [Page 4]

Internet-Draft     IKEv2 Optional Child SA&TS Payloads         July 2021

   The CREATE_CHILD_SA message exchange in this case is shown below:

   Initiator                         Responder
   HDR, SK {N(OPTIMIZED_REKEY),
       Ni, KEi} -->
                                 <-- HDR, SK {N(OPTIMIZED_REKEY),
                                         Nr, KEr}

5.  Optimized Rekey of Child SAs

   The initiator of an optimized rekey request sends a CREATE_CHILD_SA
   payload with the OPTIMIZED_REKEY notify payload containing the new
   Security Parameter Index (SPI) for the new Child SA.  It omits the SA
   payload.  If the current Child SA was negotiated with Perfect Forward
   Secrecy (PFS), a KEi payload MUST be included as well.  If no PFS was
   negotiated for the current Child SA, a KEi payload MUST NOT be
   included.

   The responder of an optimized rekey request performs the same
   process.  It includes the OPTIMIZED_REKEY notify with its new IKE SPI
   and omits the SA and TS payloads.  Depending on the PFS negotiation
   of the current Child SA, the responder includes a KEr payload.

   Both parties send Nonce payloads just as they would do for a regular
   Child SA rekey.

   Using the received old SPI from the REKEY_SA payload and the new SPI
   received from the OPTIMIZED_REKEY payload, both parties can perform
   the Child SA rekey operation.

   The CREATE_CHILD_SA message exchange in this case is shown below:

   Initiator                         Responder
   HDR, SK {N(REKEY_SA), N(OPTIMIZED_REKEY),
       Ni, [KEi,]} -->
                                 <-- HDR, SK {N(OPTIMIZED_REKEY),
                                         Nr, [KEr,]}

6.  Payload Formats

6.1.  OPTIMIZED_REKEY_SUPPORTED Notify

   The OPTIMIZED_REKEY_SUPPORTED Notify Message type notification is
   used by the initiator and responder to indicate their support for the
   optimized rekey negotation.

Kampati, et al.          Expires 12 January 2022                [Page 5]

Internet-Draft     IKEv2 Optional Child SA&TS Payloads         July 2021

                        1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   | Next Payload  |C|  RESERVED   |         Payload Length        |
   |Protocol ID(=0)| SPI Size (=0) |      Notify Message Type      |

   *  Protocol ID (1 octet) - MUST be 0.

   *  SPI Size (1 octet) - MUST be 0, meaning no SPI is present.

   *  Notify Message Type (2 octets) - MUST be the value [TBD1].

   This Notify Message type contains no data.

6.2.  OPTIMIZED_REKEY Notify

   The OPTIMIZED_REKEY Notify Message type is used to perform an
   optimized IKE SA or Child SA rekey.

    0                 1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   | Next Payload  |C|  RESERVED   |         Payload Length        |
   |Protocol ID    | SPI Size (=8) |      Notify Message Type      |
   |                Security Parameter Index (SPI)                 |

   *  Protocol ID (1 octet) - MUST be 1.

   *  SPI Size (1 octet) - MUST be 8 when rekeying an IKE SAs.  MUST be
      4 when rekeying a Child SA.

   *  Notify Message Type (2 octets) - MUST be set to the value [TBD2].

   *  SPI (4 octets or 8 octets) - Security Parameter Index.  The peer's
      new SPI.

7.  IANA Considerations

   This document defines two new Notify Message Types in the "IKEv2
   Notify Message Types - Status Types" registry.  IANA is requested to
   assign codepoints in this registry.

Kampati, et al.          Expires 12 January 2022                [Page 6]

Internet-Draft     IKEv2 Optional Child SA&TS Payloads         July 2021

   NOTIFY messages: status types            Value
   OPTIMIZED_REKEY_SUPPORTED                  TBD1
   OPTIMIZED_REKEY                            TBD2

8.  Operational Considerations

   Some implementations allow sending rekey messages with a different
   set of Traffic Selectors or cryptographic parameters in response to a
   configuration update.  IKEv2 states this SHOULD NOT be done.  Whether
   or not optimized rekeying is used, a configuration change that
   changes the Traffic Selectors or cryptographic parameters MUST NOT
   use the optimized rekey method.  It SHOULD also not use a regular
   rekey method but instead start an entire new IKE and Child SA
   negotiation with the new parameters.

9.  Security Considerations

   The optimized rekey removes sending unneccessary new parameters that
   originally would have to be validated against the original
   parameters.  In that sense, this optimalization enhances the security
   of the rekey process.

10.  Acknowledgments

   Special thanks go to Paul Wouters, Valery Smyslov, and Antony Antony.

11.  Normative References

   [RFC2119]  Bradner, S., "Key words for use in RFCs to Indicate
              Requirement Levels", BCP 14, RFC 2119,
              DOI 10.17487/RFC2119, March 1997,
              <https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc2119>.

   [RFC7296]  Kaufman, C., Hoffman, P., Nir, Y., Eronen, P., and T.
              Kivinen, "Internet Key Exchange Protocol Version 2
              (IKEv2)", STD 79, RFC 7296, DOI 10.17487/RFC7296, October
              2014, <https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7296>.

   [RFC8174]  Leiba, B., "Ambiguity of Uppercase vs Lowercase in RFC
              2119 Key Words", BCP 14, RFC 8174, DOI 10.17487/RFC8174,
              May 2017, <https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8174>.

Authors' Addresses

   Sandeep Kampati
   Huawei Technologies
   Divyashree Techno Park, Whitefield

Kampati, et al.          Expires 12 January 2022                [Page 7]

Internet-Draft     IKEv2 Optional Child SA&TS Payloads         July 2021

   Bangalore 560066
   Karnataka
   India

   Email: sandeepkamp...@huawei.com

   Wei Pan
   Huawei Technologies
   101 Software Avenue, Yuhuatai District
   Nanjing
   Jiangsu,
   China

   Email: william.pan...@huawei.com

   Meduri S S Bharath
   Mavenir Systems Pvt Ltd
   Manyata Tech Park
   Bangalore
   Karnataka
   India

   Email: bharath.med...@mavenir.com

   Meiling Chen
   China Mobile
   32 Xuanwumen West Street, West District
   Beijing
   Beijing, 100053
   China

   Email: chenmeil...@chinamobile.com

Kampati, et al.          Expires 12 January 2022                [Page 8]
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
  <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="rfc2629.xslt" ?>
  <!-- generated by https://github.com/cabo/kramdown-rfc2629 version 1.3.24 -->

<!DOCTYPE rfc SYSTEM "rfc2629.dtd" [
]>

<?rfc toc="yes"?>
<?rfc sortrefs="yes"?>
<?rfc symrefs="yes"?>

<rfc ipr="trust200902" consensus="true" docName="draft-kampati-ipsecme-ikev2-sa-ts-payloads-opt-05" category="std">

  <front>
    <title abbrev="IKEv2 Optional Child SA&amp;TS Payloads">IKEv2 Optional SA&amp;TS Payloads in Child Exchange</title>

    <author initials="S." surname="Kampati" fullname="Sandeep Kampati">
      <organization abbrev="Huawei">Huawei Technologies</organization>
      <address>
        <postal>
          <street>Divyashree Techno Park, Whitefield</street>
          <city>Bangalore</city>
          <region>Karnataka</region>
          <code>560066</code>
          <country>India</country>
        </postal>
        <email>sandeepkamp...@huawei.com</email>
      </address>
    </author>
    <author initials="W." surname="Pan" fullname="Wei Pan">
      <organization abbrev="Huawei">Huawei Technologies</organization>
      <address>
        <postal>
          <street>101 Software Avenue, Yuhuatai District</street>
          <city>Nanjing</city>
          <region>Jiangsu</region>
          <code></code>
          <country>China</country>
        </postal>
        <email>william.pan...@huawei.com</email>
      </address>
    </author>
    <author initials="M." surname="Bharath" fullname="Meduri S S Bharath">
      <organization abbrev="Mavenir">Mavenir Systems Pvt Ltd</organization>
      <address>
        <postal>
          <street>Manyata Tech Park</street>
          <city>Bangalore</city>
          <region>Karnataka</region>
          <code></code>
          <country>India</country>
        </postal>
        <email>bharath.med...@mavenir.com</email>
      </address>
    </author>
    <author initials="M." surname="Chen" fullname="Meiling Chen">
      <organization abbrev="CMCC">China Mobile</organization>
      <address>
        <postal>
          <street>32 Xuanwumen West Street, West District</street>
          <city>Beijing</city>
          <region>Beijing</region>
          <code>100053</code>
          <country>China</country>
        </postal>
        <email>chenmeil...@chinamobile.com</email>
      </address>
    </author>

    <date year="2021"/>

    <area>Security</area>
    <workgroup>IPSECME Working Group</workgroup>
    <keyword>Internet-Draft</keyword>

    <abstract>

<t>This document describes a method for reducing the size of the
Internet Key Exchange version 2 (IKEv2) CREATE_CHILD_SA exchanges
used for rekeying of the IKE or Child SA by replacing the SA and TS
payloads with a Notify Message payload. Reducing size and complexity
of IKEv2 exchanges is especially useful for low power consumption
battery powered devices.</t>

    </abstract>
  </front>
  <middle>

<section anchor="introduction" title="Introduction">

is used to negotiate Security Association (SA) parameters for the IKE
SA and the Child SAs. Cryptographic key material for these SAs have a
limited lifetime before it needs to be refreshes, a process referred to
as "rekeying". IKEv2 uses the CREATE_CHILD_SA exchange to rekey either
the IKE SA or the Child SAs.</t>

<t>When rekeying, a full set of previously negotiated parameters
are exchanged. However, most of these parameters will be the same,
and some of these parameters MUST be the same.</t>

<t>For example, the Traffic Selector (TS) negotiated for the new Child
SA MUST cover the Traffic Selectors negotiated for the old Child SA. And
in practically all cases, a new Child SA would not need to cover more
Traffic Selectors. In the rare case where this would be needed, a new
Child SA could be negotiatied instead of the current Child SA being
rekeyed. Similarly, IKEv2 states that the cryptographic parameters
negotiated for rekeying SHOULD NOT be different. This means that the
security properties of the IKE or Child SA in practise do not change
during a typical rekey.</t>

<t>This document specifies a method to omit these parameters and replace
them with a single Notify Message declaring that all these parameters
are identical to the originally negotiated parameters.</t>

<t>For security gateways/ePDG in 4G networks or cRAN/Cloud gateways
in 5G networks, gateways typically support more than 100,000 IKE/IPSEC
tunnels. At any point in time, there will be hundreds or thousands of
IKE SAs and Child SAs that are being rekeyed. This takes a large amount of
bandwidth and CPU power and any protocol simplification or bandwidth
reducing would result in an significant resource saving.</t>

<t>For Internet of Things (IoT) devices which utilize low power
consumption technology, reducing the size of rekey exchange reduces its
power consumption, as sending bytes over the air is usually the most
power consuming operation of such a device. Reducing the CPU operations
required to verify the rekey exchanges parameters will also save power
and extend the lifetime for these devices.</t>

<t>When using identical parameters during the IKE or Child SA rekey,
the SA and TS payloads can be omited. For an IKE SA rekey, instead of
the (large) SA payload, only a Key Exchange (KE) payload and a new
Notify Type payload with the new SPI is required.  For a Child SA
payload, instead of the SA or TS payloads, only an optional Nonce payload
(when using PFS) and a new Notify Type payload with the new SPI is needed.
This makes the rekey exchange packets much smaller and the peers do not
need to verify that the SA or TS parameters are compatible with the
old SA.</t>

</section>
<section anchor="conventions-used-in-this-document" title="Conventions Used in This Document">

<section anchor="requirements-language" title="Requirements Language">

<t>The key words “MUST”, “MUST NOT”, “REQUIRED”, “SHALL”, “SHALL NOT”,
“SHOULD”, “SHOULD NOT”, “RECOMMENDED”, “NOT RECOMMENDED”, “MAY”, and “OPTIONAL” in this document are to be interpreted as described in BCP
14 <xref target="RFC2119"/> <xref target="RFC8174"/> when, and only when, they appear in all
capitals, as shown here.</t>

</section>
</section>
<section anchor="negotiation" title="Negotiation of Support for OPTIMIZED REKEY">

<t>To indicate support for the optimized rekey negotiation, the initiator
includes the OPTIMIZED_REKEY_SUPPORTED Notify payload in the IKE_AUTH
exchange request. A responder that supports the optimized rekey exchange
inclues the OPTIMIZED_REKEY_SUPPORTED Notify payload in its response. Note
that the notify indiciates support for optimized rekey for both IKE and
Child SAs.</t>

<t>When a peer wishes to rekey an IKE SA or Child SA, it MAY use the
optimized rekey method during the CREATE_CHILD_SA exchange.  A responder
MUST accept that the initiator uses a regular or optimized reey.</t>

<t>The initiator indicates its support for optimizing payloads
at rekeying IKE SAs and Child SAs by including a Notify payload of
type MINIMAL_REKEY_SUPPORTED in the IKE_AUTH request message. By
observing the MINIMAL_REKEY_SUPPORTED notification in the received
message, the responder can deduce the initiator’s support of this
extension. If the responder also supports this extension, it
includes the MINIMAL_REKEY_SUPPORTED notification in the
corresponding response message. After receiving the response
message, the initiator can also know the support of this extension of
the responder side.</t>

<t>The IKE_AUTH message exchange in this case is shown below:</t>

<figure><artwork><![CDATA[
Initiator                         Responder
HDR, SK {IDi, [CERT,] [CERTREQ,]
    [IDr,] AUTH, SAi2, TSi, TSr,
    N(OPTIMIZED_REKEY_SUPPORTED)} -->
                              <-- HDR, SK {IDr, [CERT,] AUTH,
                                      SAr2, TSi, TSr,
                                      N(OPTIMIZED_REKEY_SUPPORTED)}
]]></artwork></figure>

<t>If the responder does not support this extension, as per regular
IKEv2 processing, it MUST ignore the unknown Notify payload. The
initiator will notice the lack of the OPTIMIZED_REKEY_SUPPORTED Notify
in the reply and thus know it cannot use the optimized rekey method.</t>

<t>The IKE_AUTH message exchange in this case is shown below:</t>

</section>
<section anchor="payload-optimization-ike" title="Optimized Rekey of the IKE SA">

<t>The initiator of an optimized rekey request sends a CREATE_CHILD_SA
payload with the OPTIMIZED_REKEY notify payload containing the new
Security Parameter Index (SPI) for the new IKE SA.  It omits the SA
payload.</t>

<t>The responder of an optimized rekey request performs the same process. It
includes the OPTIMIZED_REKEY notify with its new IKE SPI and omits the SA
payload.</t>

<t>Both parties send Nonce and KE payloads just as they would do for a regular
IKE SA rekey.</t>

<t>The CREATE_CHILD_SA message exchange in this case is shown below:</t>

<figure><artwork><![CDATA[
Initiator                         Responder
HDR, SK {N(OPTIMIZED_REKEY),
    Ni, KEi} -->
                              <-- HDR, SK {N(OPTIMIZED_REKEY),
                                      Nr, KEr}
]]></artwork></figure>

</section>
<section anchor="payload-optimization-child" title="Optimized Rekey of Child SAs">

<t>The initiator of an optimized rekey request sends a CREATE_CHILD_SA
payload with the OPTIMIZED_REKEY notify payload containing the new
Security Parameter Index (SPI) for the new Child SA. It omits the SA
payload. If the current Child SA was negotiated with Perfect Forward
Secrecy (PFS), a KEi payload MUST be included as well. If no PFS
was negotiated for the current Child SA, a KEi payload MUST NOT be
included.</t>

<t>The responder of an optimized rekey request performs the same
process. It includes the OPTIMIZED_REKEY notify with its new IKE SPI
and omits the SA and TS payloads. Depending on the PFS negotiation of
the current Child SA, the responder includes a KEr payload.</t>

<t>Both parties send Nonce payloads just as they would do for a regular
Child SA rekey.</t>

<t>Using the received old SPI from the REKEY_SA payload and the new SPI
received from the OPTIMIZED_REKEY payload, both parties can perform the
Child SA rekey operation.</t>

<t>The CREATE_CHILD_SA message exchange in this case is shown below:</t>

<figure><artwork><![CDATA[
Initiator                         Responder
HDR, SK {N(REKEY_SA), N(OPTIMIZED_REKEY),
    Ni, [KEi,]} -->
                              <-- HDR, SK {N(OPTIMIZED_REKEY),
                                      Nr, [KEr,]}
]]></artwork></figure>
</section>

<section anchor="payload-formats" title="Payload Formats">

<section anchor="supported-notify" title="OPTIMIZED_REKEY_SUPPORTED Notify">

<t>The OPTIMIZED_REKEY_SUPPORTED Notify Message type notification is used by the initiator and
responder to indicate their support for the optimized rekey negotation.</t>

<figure><artwork><![CDATA[
                     1                   2                   3
 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
| Next Payload  |C|  RESERVED   |         Payload Length        |
|Protocol ID(=0)| SPI Size (=0) |      Notify Message Type      |
]]></artwork></figure>

<t><list style="symbols">
  <t>Protocol ID (1 octet) - MUST be 0.</t>
  <t>SPI Size (1 octet) - MUST be 0, meaning no SPI is present.</t>
  <t>Notify Message Type (2 octets) - MUST be the value [TBD1].</t>
</list></t>

<t>This Notify Message type contains no data.</t>

</section>
<section anchor="optimized-rekey" title="OPTIMIZED_REKEY Notify">

<t>The OPTIMIZED_REKEY Notify Message type is used to perform an optimized
IKE SA or Child SA rekey.</t>

<figure><artwork><![CDATA[
 0                 1                   2                   3
 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
| Next Payload  |C|  RESERVED   |         Payload Length        |
|Protocol ID    | SPI Size (=8) |      Notify Message Type      |
|                Security Parameter Index (SPI)                 |
]]></artwork></figure>

<t><list style="symbols">
  <t>Protocol ID (1 octet) - MUST be 1.</t>
  <t>SPI Size (1 octet) - MUST be 8 when rekeying an IKE SAs. MUST be 4 when rekeying a Child SA.</t>
  <t>Notify Message Type (2 octets) - MUST be set to the value [TBD2].</t>
  <t>SPI (4 octets or 8 octets) - Security Parameter Index. The peer's new SPI.</t>
</list></t>

</section>
</section>
<section anchor="iana-considerations" title="IANA Considerations">

<t>This document defines two new Notify Message Types in the “IKEv2
Notify Message Types - Status Types” registry. IANA is requested to
assign codepoints in this registry.</t>

<figure><artwork><![CDATA[
NOTIFY messages: status types            Value
OPTIMIZED_REKEY_SUPPORTED                  TBD1
OPTIMIZED_REKEY                            TBD2
]]></artwork></figure>

</section>
<section anchor="operational-considerations" title="Operational Considerations">

<t>Some implementations allow sending rekey messages with a different
set of Traffic Selectors or cryptographic parameters in response to a
configuration update. IKEv2 states this SHOULD NOT be done.  Whether or
not optimized rekeying is used, a configuration change that changes the
Traffic Selectors or cryptographic parameters MUST NOT use the optimized
rekey method. It SHOULD also not use a regular rekey method but instead
start an entire new IKE and Child SA negotiation with the new parameters.</t>
</section>

<section anchor="security-considerations" title="Security Considerations">
<t>The optimized rekey removes sending unneccessary new parameters that
originally would have to be validated against the original parameters. In
that sense, this optimalization enhances the security of the rekey
process.</t>
</section>

<section anchor="acknowledgments" title="Acknowledgments">
<t>Special thanks go to Paul Wouters, Valery Smyslov, and Antony Antony.</t>
</section>

  </middle>
  <back>
    <references title='Normative References'>

<reference  anchor="RFC2119" target='https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc2119'>
<front>
<title>Key words for use in RFCs to Indicate Requirement Levels</title>
<author initials='S.' surname='Bradner' fullname='S. Bradner'><organization /></author>
<date year='1997' month='March' />
<abstract><t>In many standards track documents several words are used to signify the requirements in the specification.  These words are often capitalized. This document defines these words as they should be interpreted in IETF documents.  This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for improvements.</t></abstract>
</front>
<seriesInfo name='BCP' value='14'/>
<seriesInfo name='RFC' value='2119'/>
<seriesInfo name='DOI' value='10.17487/RFC2119'/>
</reference>

<reference  anchor="RFC8174" target='https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8174'>
<front>
<title>Ambiguity of Uppercase vs Lowercase in RFC 2119 Key Words</title>
<author initials='B.' surname='Leiba' fullname='B. Leiba'><organization /></author>
<date year='2017' month='May' />
<abstract><t>RFC 2119 specifies common key words that may be used in protocol  specifications.  This document aims to reduce the ambiguity by clarifying that only UPPERCASE usage of the key words have the  defined special meanings.</t></abstract>
</front>
<seriesInfo name='BCP' value='14'/>
<seriesInfo name='RFC' value='8174'/>
<seriesInfo name='DOI' value='10.17487/RFC8174'/>
</reference>

<reference  anchor="RFC7296" target='https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7296'>
<front>
<title>Internet Key Exchange Protocol Version 2 (IKEv2)</title>
<author initials='C.' surname='Kaufman' fullname='C. Kaufman'><organization /></author>
<author initials='P.' surname='Hoffman' fullname='P. Hoffman'><organization /></author>
<author initials='Y.' surname='Nir' fullname='Y. Nir'><organization /></author>
<author initials='P.' surname='Eronen' fullname='P. Eronen'><organization /></author>
<author initials='T.' surname='Kivinen' fullname='T. Kivinen'><organization /></author>
<date year='2014' month='October' />
<abstract><t>This document describes version 2 of the Internet Key Exchange (IKE) protocol.  IKE is a component of IPsec used for performing mutual authentication and establishing and maintaining Security Associations (SAs).  This document obsoletes RFC 5996, and includes all of the errata for it.  It advances IKEv2 to be an Internet Standard.</t></abstract>
</front>
<seriesInfo name='STD' value='79'/>
<seriesInfo name='RFC' value='7296'/>
<seriesInfo name='DOI' value='10.17487/RFC7296'/>
</reference>