Hi Panos,

There are two drafts involved here.

a) the main draft,
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev2-multiple-ke/,
cannot support any public-key larger than 64KB, so it can never be used for
KEMs like McEliece. So the option 3 is implied here.

b) on the other hand,
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-tjhai-ikev2-beyond-64k-limit/ is an
attempt to address the issue with transferring payload larger than 64KB. As
you pointed out, transferring large blob of data in a live protocol is
challenging and therefore it deservers separate treatments and
considerations. It was deliberate that we split the hybrid key exchange
drafts into two, the second draft is there just in case there is any
interest in the working group on supporting the use KEMs like McEliece.

Cheers,
CJ

On Thu, 21 Oct 2021 at 16:49, Kampanakis, Panos <kpanos=
40amazon....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:

> Hi Valery, Tero,
>
> > Not really. First, the situation with seven McEliece is not possible,
> since all negotiated Key Exchange methods MUST be different.
> Then, you seem to assume that the responder blindly accepts all the key
> exchanges at the initiator's will.
> This is not true. First peers negotiate which key exchanges they will
> perform (including additional key exchanges), and you can limit the types
> and the number additional key exchanges the responder will accept via its
> local policy.
>
> I think the point is valid though if the responder supports McEliece. A
> miscreant can that way make the responder put a lot of data on the wire
> like an amplification attack although the initiator has not been validated.
> QUIC has a 3x amplification protection limits for that matter.
>
> Sure, the issue existed even in ECDH exchanges, but the impact is much
> higher when we talk MB of public keys.
>
> Imo, McEliece is not practical for live protocols like TLS or IKEv2. Too
> many packets mean pretty high loss probability in unstable networks which
> means pretty bad performance unless everything happens in the datacenter or
> robust end-to-end network paths. The PQ KEMs that will end up being
> standardized are likely to have just a few KBs of public key and ciphertext
> which is better for the general case.
>
> So, I would say option 3 (prohibit the use of very large KE payloads like
> McEliece's MB sized public keys) is more practical.
>
> Rgs,
> Panos

PQ Solutions Limited (trading as ‘Post-Quantum’) is a private limited
company incorporated in England and Wales with registered number 06808505.

This email is meant only for the intended recipient. If you have received
this email in error, any review, use, dissemination, distribution, or
copying of this email is strictly prohibited. Please notify us immediately
of the error by return email and please delete this message from your
system. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

For more information
about Post-Quantum, please visit www.post-quantum.com
<http://www.post-quantum.com>.

In the course of our business relationship,
we may collect, store and transfer information about you. Please see our
privacy notice at www.post-quantum.com/privacy-notice
<http://www.post-quantum.com/privacy-notice> to learn about how we use this
information.