Hi Roman,

Thanks for the review!

I've made some changes in the document to cover most of your suggestions and
have a few comments/questions on the rest below.

Roman Danyliw <r...@cert.org> writes:

Hi!

I performed an AD review of draft-ietf-ipsecme-iptfs-12.  Thank you for this
work and the patience of the WG in getting it processed.

I have a number of comments below, but the document is in good shape so please
process them concurrently with the IETF LC feedback.

** Thank you for getting an early TSVART review and addressing that feedback
given congestion control issues this work raises

** Section 1.  Editorial.

OLD
While directly
   obscuring the data with encryption [RFC4303], the traffic pattern
   itself exposes information due to variations in its shape and timing

NEW
While directly obscuring the data with encryption [RFC4303], the patterns in
the message traffic may
exposes information due to variations in its shape and timing.

Ok.

** Section 2.1.  Typo. s/the the/the/

Fixed.

** Section 2.4.2.1.

Enabling circuit breakers is also a reason a user
   may wish to enable congestion information reports ...

Consider if s/a user may wish to/local policy may/ to generalize who is doing
the tuning. There are a few other places were "user" is the noun tuning the
stack.

If you feel strongly about this I will change it; however, I did consider it, and would prefer to
leave them as "user". It's always a user doing the configuration at some point in the
process, it's specifically talking about why one may wish to turn something on, and it's also a bit
more "active voice" which I was taught is more engaging/readable.

** Section 3.

Thus, to support
   congestion control the receiver must have a paired SA back to the
   sender

Should the be a "MUST" (i.e., s/receiver must have/received MUST have)?

Changed.

** Section 3.

If the SA back to the sender is a non-AGGFRAG_PAYLOAD
enabled SA then an AGGFRAG_PAYLOAD empty payload (i.e., header only)
   is used to convey the information.

I'm missing something -- if the SA is not AGGFRAG_PAYLOAD-enabled, what how can
it send anything AGGFRAG related?

In ESP the payload is given by the next header field. Sending an empty
AGGFRAG_PAYLOAD (header only) in ESP doesn't require enabling AGGFRAG_PAYLOAD
on the SA, you just set the ESP next-header value appropriately.

Enabling is not "allowing AGGFRAG_PAYLOADs in ESP", it's saying to the receiver,
"I'm going to send you all my traffic encapsulated in AGGFRAG_PAYLOADs".

** Section 4.

All IP-TFS specific configuration should be specified
   at the unidirectional tunnel ingress (sending) side

Should is used here. Not in the normative sense. What would be the alternative
to specifying the unidirectional tunnels on the sending side?

The intent of the text was simply to highlight that receiver side configuration
is not (should not be) required.

** Section 4.1.

For non-congestion
   controlled mode, the bandwidth SHOULD be configured.

What would it mean for this not be configured?  That the end-point set a packet
size and rate?

We have to be careful in the spec to allow for other uses (i.e., non-constant
send rate use), that's the reason this isn't a MUST.

** Section 4.3. Is this a generic statement that how congestion control is done
is a local configuration option, or is this a Boolean configuration of use
congestion control or not (aka, Section 6.1.1 vs. 6.1.2.?)

It's saying that the host or server software (and it's configuration) decides
what congestion control to use and whether to use it or not.  So all of the
above. :)

** Section 5.1.

If any
   requirement flags are not understood or cannot be supported by the
   receiver then the receiver SHOULD NOT enable use of AGGFRAG_PAYLOAD

Is the WG sure that this shouldn't be MUST NOT?  What's the user case where you
want to continue?

I believe so. It's allowing for (future) cases where a requirement flag is not
supported, but AGGFRAG_PAYLOAD can still be made to work.

** Section 6.1.4.  Typo. s/it's USE_AGGFRAG/its USE_AGGFRAG/

Fixed.

** Section 7.1.  Why the reference to RFC7120?  Since this registry is going to be
"Expert Review", this document doesn't apply.

Well RFC7120 says in the Introduction that "expert review" does not require a
formal IETF action before IANA performs allocation. That's what the reference was for
basically. Can remove if you think it's unneeded.

** Section 7.1.  To double check, there is no more guidance to provide to the
expert reviewer?

It's pretty wide open what sub-type might be used in the future (could even be
completely different payload encapsulations/uses etc), so we didn't see a
reason to limit/guide the experts anymore here.

** Section 8.  Editorial.

This document describes an aggregation and fragmentation mechanism
   and it use to add TFC to IP traffic.  The use described is expected
   to increase the security of the traffic being transported.

The first sentence doesn't parse and I recommend more precision on the second.
Perhaps:

NEW

This document describes an aggregation and fragmentation mechanism to
efficiently implement TFC for IP traffic. This approach is expected to reduce
the efficacy of traffic analysis on IPSec communication.

Ok.

** Section 8. Editorial. s/As noted in (Section 3.1)/As noted in Section 3.1,/

Fixed.

** Section 8.

As noted previously in Section 2.4.2, for TFC to be fully maintained ...

What does it mean to for TFC to be "fully maintained"?

Changed to "maintained".

Thanks,
Chris.

Regards,