See below...
—
Dr. Joe Touch, temporal epistemologist
www.strayalpha.com

> On Jun 2, 2022, at 8:03 AM, Valery Smyslov <s...@elvis.ru> wrote:
>
> HI Joe,
>
> On Jun 2, 2022, at 12:55 AM, Valery Smyslov <s...@elvis.ru
> <mailto:s...@elvis.ru>> wrote:
>>
>> HI Joe,
>>
>> one more question:
>>
>>           You can also note that there are ways to mitigate the cost of
>> resync when
>>           this implementation is tightly coupled with TCP, e.g., by ensuring
>> every Nth
>>           IPsec packet starts at the beginning of a new TCP packet.
>>
>>          How would this help? Can you please elaborate?
>
> If every 4th IPsec packet is always aligned to the TCP segment data start,
> then resync checks could be simple and rapid - check only the first bytes for
> a known pattern.
>
> That makes resync happen with lower overhead, i.e., rather than searching the
> whole payload.
>
>           Interesting idea, but how the receiving node would know that
> sending node employs this method?

They don’t need to. Basically the receiver should “check a few places until it
wants to give up”. There’s no rule that resync must be exhaustive, but if it
succeeds, it averts the need for a new connection.

>           And, in my understanding some middleboxes can re-arrange TCP
> segments, merging and splitting them,

They DO this, as do some offloading devices, sometimes in ways that break TCP.
But that doesn’t matter here - again, at the receiver, it either works or it
doesn’t.

>           so the beginning of IPsec packet may still appear in the middle of
> TCP segment (the same can happen
>           with retransmissions, but I guess you assume that sending TCP/IP
> stack would take care in this case, but it adds complexity).

Retransmissions don’t need to realign; the sender can just do this on first
transmission. It’s just an optimization that helps the receiver potentially
resync faster or not need to give up on resync as quickly.

>          So, I think that the idea is interesting, but the additional
> complexity and unreliability makes it not so attractive.

It doesn’t need to be reliable to be useful, as per above.