Martin Duke <martin.h.d...@gmail.com> writes:

I'm not sure we've landed on a good solution with the ECN text.  Two
weeks ago I pushed Christian to do something more sophisticated with
ECN, but realized that this is such a complicated subject that I
wrote a draft (which, to my knowledge, no one has read):

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/
draft-duke-tsvwg-ecn-aggregating-tunnels/

I am not sure what this means:

"the ECN value from a congestion indicating packet should be the
source of the copied value."

So if an ECT(0) and a CE packet are in the same outer packet, the
outer packet should be CE? But what if the inner CE packet was
originally ECT(1) and this is an indication of minor congestion? Then
the ECT(0) will be marked CE on egress and execute a loss response,
which is inappropriate, even if there is no congestion whatsoever on
the tunnel path.

Or is the copied value on tunnel egress? Both?

The old language, IIRC, was just to make the outer packet Not-ECT.
This doesn't send spurious signals to the endpoints, and the only
drawback is that the tunnel has to do a packet drop instead of using
an ECN mark. As CBR is the preferred mode of operation here, it seems
like this is a small price to pay. To summarize:

1) If my draft were even half-baked, it would be the best advice to
include
2) Since it is not baked, I think Not-ECT (6040 "compatibility mode")
is the best advice
3) The current text, IMO, is a bit ambigous, and will result in
pathological behavior.

I agree that compatibility mode is thing to do here, and here is the new text:

  [[RFC3168]] and [[RFC4301]], updated by [[RFC6040]] defines behaviors for
marking
  the outer ECN field value based on the ECN field of the inner packet.
  As AGGFRAG mode may have multiple inner packets present in a single
  outer packet, and there is no obvious correct way to map these
  multiple values to the single outer packet ECN field value, the
  tunnel ingress endpoint SHOULD operate in the "compatibility" mode
  rather than the "default" mode from RFC6040. In particular this means
  that the ingress (sending) endpoint of the tunnel always sets the
  newly constructed outer encapsulating packet header ECN field
  to Not-ECT [[RFC6040]].

We have a couple more ADs with ECN as a DISCUSS:

- Lars - You wanted us to be explicit about what to do with ECN field based on
RFC6040. The propsed text above satisfies this requirement I beleive. Agreed?

- Zaheduzzaman - You added a +1 to Lars' DISCUSS for ECN. Would you also be
satisfied with the above text?

Thanks,
Chris.

Martin

On Wed, Aug 24, 2022 at 5:46 AM Christian Hopps <cho...@chopps.org>
wrote:

    Christian Hopps <cho...@chopps.org> writes:

> [...]
    This document needs

    >>> We reference RFC3168 which talks directly to handling ECN
    with IPsec security associations. We are not defining a new
    variant. I see that RFC6040 updates the RFCs we reference so we
    perhaps should add that reference here as well?

    >> It's not just adding the reference. RFC6040 specifies how ECN
    applies to tunnels, including this tunnel, so it needs to be
    followed here (or there needs to be a solid rationale/discussion
    about which aspects are not being followed and why.)

    > I've changed the ECN section text on marking to:

    [slight grammar fix]

      [[RFC3168]] and [[RFC4301]] define behaviors for marking ECN
    based on the
      ingress and egress of the inner packet. These RFCs were later
    updated
      by [[RFC6040]]. The methods defined in [[RFC6040]] SHOULD be
    followed with
      the addition that if multiple inner packets are being
    encapsulated in
      an AGGFRAG mode outer packet, the ECN value from a congestion