Hi, Steffen,

in general, G-IKEv2 is not backward compatible with GDOI (likewise IKEv2 is
not backward compatible with IKEv1).

For this reason extensions defined for G-DOI should be redefined for G-IKEv2
(once it becomes an RFC).

>From my reading of RFC 8052, it doesn't define new payloads for GDOI,
instead new ID type, Protocol ID etc.

are specified. The same approach could be used for G-IKEv2 too.

Regards,

Valery.

Hi,

I've got a question regarding the relation of G-IKEv2 and GDOI.

I realized that G-IKEv2 will be the successor of GDOI and would have a
question regarding backward compatibility of payloads defined for GDOI. As
the underlying exchanges for the base key management changed from IKE to
IKEv2 they will not be backward compatible. Nevertheless, there have been
enhancements of GDOI for protocols used in the power system domain like
GOOSE and Sampled Values, which lead to the definition of new payloads for
the ID, SA TEK and KD payloads to accommodate the power system protocol
parameters in RFC 8052. Likewise, using the same approach new payloads of
the same types have been defined to distribute parameters for PTP (Precision
Time Protocol) in IEC 62351-9.

In general, I realized that there are similar payloads available in G-IKEv2
but I was not quite sure, if it was a design criterion to have backward
compatibility for extensions/enhancements defined for GDOI to be usable also
in G-IKEv2. Could you please shed some light on this?

Best regards

Steffen

--
Steffen Fries

Siemens AG
Technology
Cybersecurity & Trust
T CST
Otto-Hahn-Ring 6
81739 Munich, Germany
Phone: +49 (89) 7805-22928
 <mailto:steffen.fr...@siemens.com> mailto:steffen.fr...@siemens.com
www.siemens.com

Siemens Aktiengesellschaft: Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Jim Hagemann
Snabe; Managing Board: Roland Busch, Chairman, President and Chief Executive
Officer; Cedrik Neike, Matthias Rebellius, Ralf P. Thomas, Judith Wiese;
Registered offices: Berlin and Munich, Germany; Commercial registries:
Berlin-Charlottenburg, HRB 12300, Munich, HRB 6684; WEEE-Reg.-No. DE
23691322