Warren Kumari has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-ipsecme-multi-sa-performance-06: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to
https://www.ietf.org/about/groups/iesg/statements/handling-ballot-positions/

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ipsecme-multi-sa-performance/

DISCUSS:

Be ye not afraid -- see
https://www.ietf.org/about/groups/iesg/statements/handling-ballot-positions/ on
handling ballots, especially DISCUSS ballots...

A DISCUSS is a request to have a discussion, and this is especially true in
this case, because my mental model is somewhat hazy here...

The document talks about negotiating multiple "Child SAs with the same Traffic
Selectors". In my mental model, this looks sort of analogous to multiple
parallel paths. The document doesn't seem to discuss how implementations should
share traffic across these "paths" -- should it do something like ECMP and hash
<something, e.g 5-tuple> to try and keep packets in a flow tied to the same
CPU? Or is this something that is done automatically by the OS already (e.g
because the existing L3 logic would just view these as parallel links) and it
already knows what to do? Or is this something that IPSEC implementations
handle themselves? Or is my mental model so broken that my question doesn't
even make sense?

The document also says that "if an implementation finds it needs to encrypt a
packet but the current CPU does not have the resources to encrypt this packet,
it can relay that packet to a specific CPU that does have the capability to
encrypt the packet, although this will come with a performance penalty.".
Cool... but does this lead to the potential of out of order packets? Is that
what the "this will come with a performance penalty" is implying (in which case
I'd suggest being a bit more explicit).

COMMENT: