Hi,

thank you for providing use cases in the new version of the draft.

I still have some questions about the intended use of the ESP Ping protocol.

I understand from the draft that one of the use cases is a manual check

for ESP connectivity by network operators. This use case is clear for me.

The unclear part is how the ESP Ping is intended to be used for IPsec SA
establishment process.

Should it always be initiated before starting IKE? Should it be periodically
initiated

after the ESP SA is established to check for the network connectivity change?

What about MOBIKE – should it be initiated before MOBIKE starts changing IP
addresses?

These all is not clear from the draft.

My another concern is that the draft seems to confirm my suspicions that

the usefulness of this protocol is limited. After reading the draft it seems
that

the algorithm for establishing IPsec SA is as follows:

1.     Send ESP Echo Request

2.     If ESP Echo Reply is received, start IKE

3.     If no ESP Echo Reply is received start IKE (*)

(*) possibly with UDP encapsulation, or without it.

So, the draft says that you SHOULD start creating ESP regardless of the result
of ESP Ping.

Thus, why to delay SA establishment (you should wait for some time for the
response) with ESP Ping?

Perhaps the better alternative would be to use mechanism described in

draft-antony-ipsecme-encrypted-esp-ping in combination with ESP-in-UDP
encapsulation.

The peers can establish ESP with forced UDP encapsulation (regardless of the
presence of NAT)

and then immediately start encrypted ESP ping on the established ESP SA with no
UDP encapsulation.

If it succeeds, then the peers continue to use this ESP SA with no UDP
encapsulation,

if not – with it. Note, that RFC 7296 requires that if UDP encapsulation is
negotiated,

then peers are free to either use it or not (even on per-packet basis), unless
NAT is detected.

Regards,

Valery.