On Fri, 17 Jan 2014, Templin, Fred L wrote:

Sorry, I was looking at the wrong section. I see now that Section 8 is talking about a method for a CE to send an ordinary data packet that loops back via the BR. That method is fine, but it is no more immune to someone abusing the mechanism than would be sending a ping (or some other NUD message). By using a ping, the BR can impose rate-limiting on its ping responses whereas with a looped-back data packet the BR really can't do rate limiting.

You don't ping the BR, you ping yourself via the BR. The BR only forwards the packet.

Also, Section 8 of RFC5969 only talks about the CE testing the forward
path to the BR. Unless the BR also tests the reverse path to the CE it
has no way of knowing whether the CE can accept large packets.

You misread the text.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swm...@swm.pp.se