> On 3 Oct 2019, at 16:02, Jens Link <li...@quux.de> wrote:
>
> Tim Chown <tim.ch...@jisc.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> (Surprised we’re having this conversation in 2019, as the final fumes of
>> IPv4 address space disappear from Europe…)
>
> If you had told me 10 or even 5 years ago that I would be having the
> conversation in 2019 I would have laughed at you. Now it's a very sad
> situation. IPv4 has won.
>
> I had a discussion over lunch about v6 yesterday (which is part of the
> reason I started this today) and all I heard "but that is different
> then IPv4. I don't like this!"

There will always be a legacy tail. The dinosaurs can wallow in their swamp.

Those who deploy v6 will benefit from it. Others will feel the heat of not
moving; here in the UK it’s Sky and BT who have between them ~10M households on
IPv6.  That’s not failure.

New communities will benefit. For example, the largest science experiments are
now migrating to IPv6, e.g., CERN and WLCG is 70% there, SKA will use it.

Tim