George Gross wrote:
>       At the risk of triggering another firestorm of pro/con debate, is
>there any reason why the centrally assigned Global ID defined by
>hinden-ipv6-global-local-addr-02.txt could not be simply the low-order 40
>bits of a SHA hash of a domain name? i.e. if you own the domain name, you
>get the IP-v6 global ID for "free"?

That sounds like a decent way of generating a locally assigned ID, but
it doesn't have the uniqueness guarantee that is the raison d'etre for
the central registry.  You Have Missed The Point, as one of my favourite
games can be provoked into saying.

-zefram
--
Andrew Main (Zefram) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>