Hello,

After reading the complete document, I feel that there are a few pieces
that are still missing in the document.

Suggested reorganization
---------------------------

The document can do with some reorganization. Section 2 is a bit too
long. It needs to be broken up, and a few more sections should also be
added.

1) Introduction
2) Requirements for ND proxy
2.1) Non-requirements for the ND proxy
3) Behavior of the ND proxy
   <This section will contain the guidelines (as listed in my previous
   email)>
3.1) Parsing IPv4 packets
3.1.1) ARP packets
3.1.2) ICMPv4 packets
3.1.3) DHCPv4 packets
3.1.4) Other protocol packets
3.1.4.1) Unicast packets
3.1.4.2) Multicast/Broadcast packets
3.2) Parsing IPv6 packets
3.2.1) ICMPv6 packets
3.2.1.1) NS/NA packets
3.2.1.2) RS/RA packets
3.2.1.3) Redirect packet
3.2.2) DHCPv6 packets
3.2.3) Other protocol packets
3.2.3.1) Unicast packets
3.2.3.2) Multicast/Broadcast packets
3.3> Assigning a local IP address
     <This section will give an over view of a proxy that has been
     assigned an IP address.>
4) Examples
4.1) Example 1
4.2) Example 2
5) Cache table
6) Effect of changes in spanning tree
7) Deployment considerations
7.1) MTU configuration
10) Security considerations
10) ....
11) Appendix A : RA only proxy

New text
---------

I have suggested text for the above sections here. Please refer to my
previous email on justification for the new text.

Section 3)
----------

Please refer to my previous email for text concerning guidelines.

Section 3.3)
------------

A proxy device does not require a local IP address. However it will be
convenient to configure the proxies remotely if they are assigned an
an IP address.

Assignment of an IP address does not change the working of the
proxy. It would require that the proxy to implement the more protocols
(give reference to IPv4, IPv6 node requirements). The interface that
has been assigned an IP address can be viewed as an internal
interface.

The following high level diagram depicts the various functional blocks
within a proxy that has been assigned an IP address.

 +-------------+
 |             |
 | ICMPv6, ARP |
 | UDP, SNMP   |
 | etc         |
 +-------------+
 | IPv4/IPv6   |
 +-----+-------+
       |                +---+        +---------------------+
       |                |int|        |  IP implementation  |
       +----------------+i/f+--------+  for a proxy        |
                        |   |        |                     |
                        +---+        +--+---+---+---+---+--+
                                        |   |   |   |   |
                                       +++ +++ +++ +++ +++
                                       | | | | | | | | | |
                                       +++ +++ +++ +++ +++
                                      (external interfaces)

Section 5)
----------

The proxy is not a node in the network. Its main tasks are forwarding
IPv4 packets from one port to another, and manipulating protocol
headers.

The main conceptual data structure that will be maintained in the
proxy is the neighbor cache.

Each entry of the neighbor cache contains

     o IP (IPv4, or IPv6) address
     o port number
     o link-layer address

The entry is created by recording the IP address of the sender, the
port number on which it was received, and the link-layer address of
the sender.

A new entry is created in the link-table whenever a new (not present
in the neighbor cache) sender IP address encountered in any packet. A
keep alive timer is also started. This timer is restarted whenever any
packet with the same source IP address is encountered. On expiry of
the timer, the entry is deleted.

The entry is updated in two circumstances

    - A packet with the IP address, as the one in the entry, is