I raised an issue awhile back regarding the Router Lifetime field and
the AdvDefaultLifetime parameter and the wording of Section 4.2 in RFC
2461. I insert the e-mail below from Erik Nordmark discussing this.
Would it be possible to consider changing the wording in Section 4.2 per
the e-mail below? Thanks.

Regards,

Pete

--> INSERT e-mail

> What I mean to say is that the parameter AdvDefaultLifetime MUST be
> either zero or between MaxRtrAdvInterval and 9000 seconds (IPv6) per
> RFC 2461. Same thing for IPv4 per RFC 1256 (only the parameter is
> Advertisement Lifetime). The inconsistency (for lack of a better word)

> is that the Router Lifetime field is 16 bits and if set to anything
> greater than 9000 seconds then this would violate the specifications.
> So, if it is set to 18.2 hours (e.g., for some wireless cellular
> links) it violates the specs.

Thanks, now I understand your point.

While the wording might be unfortunate and perhaps confusing, saying
that 2^^16 seconds is 18.2 hours is correct. Even though the sender will
not use more than 9000 seconds the protocol doesn't, and presumably
shouldn't, have the receivers reject RAs with a router lifetime that is
larger per the "consevative in what you send;
liberal in what you accept" principle.

So if we change the sentence in 4.2 from:
        The maximum value corresponds to 18.2 hours.
        The field can contain values up to 65535 and receivers should
        handle any value, while the sending rules in section 6 limit
        the lifetime to 9000 seconds.
would that be better?

  Erik

--> END INSERT e-mail