hi,

here is another issue. it involves both 2461 and 2462.

RFC 2461 says

   Before a host sends an initial solicitation, it SHOULD delay the
   transmission for a random amount of time between 0 and
   MAX_RTR_SOLICITATION_DELAY.

RFC 2462 says

   If the Neighbor Solicitation is the first message to be sent from an
   interface after interface (re)initialization, the node should delay
   sending the message by a random delay between 0 and
   MAX_RTR_SOLICITATION_DELAY as specified in [DISCOVERY].

lets assume a Mobile Node moves and attaches to a new
link. it does router discovery and configures a Care-of
address. the mobile node cannot send a Binding Update
until it completes DAD for the Care-of address. these
two random delays (before router discovery and before
DAD) contribute a lot to the movement detection delay.
I think this needs to be fixed.
MAX_RTR_SOLICITATION_DELAY is 1 second. taking the worst
case scenario, it could be 1 second before a sending
router solicitation, one second before sending neighbor
solicitation for DAD and then 1 second before DAD
completes. the Binding Update cannot be sent until then.

we had a long discussion on the Mobile IP mailing list.
some argued that this needs to be done only when the
interface is initialized and not when the mobile node
attaches to a new link. others argued that this random
delay is essential to avoid a DAD storm if a bunch of
mobile nodes move at the same time.

there is some discussion on this at
http://www.piuha.net/~jarkko/publications/mipv6/issues/issue230.txt

Vijay

JINMEI Tatuya / ???? wrote:
Hello,

The attached below is a issue list to make necessary updates on
RFC2462 (Stateless Address Autoconfiguration).

To make this list, I've grepped the ipngwg/ipv6 ML archives from
Jan. 1998 with the keywords "2462" and "stateless," and picked up
issues that seem to be related to this update.  Of course, I'm not
claiming the keywords are enough, and even if they are, I may have
missed something important.

Thus, any corrections/additions are welcome.  I'd apologize in advance
the list is not necessarily very readable, but I believe it provides
some hints to start discussion.  I'll collect comments on the list,
and edit a new internet draft which will basically be a copy of
RFC2462 with the issue list.

Due to a lack of time to the cut-off date of an initial draft, I
don't think I can propose any resolutions to the issues.  So, please
concentrate, at the moment, on completing or correcting the list,
rather than to discuss how to solve particular ones.

Thanks,

                                        JINMEI, Tatuya
                                        Communication Platform Lab.
                                        Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
                                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Easy ones (which will only need some editorial works):

- A minor typo
  by Ignatios Souvatzis, Dec. 1998
  http://www.wcug.wwu.edu/lists/ipng/199812/msg00043.html

- Dead Code in Addrconf DOS Algortim Prevention
  by Jim Bound, Nov 1998
  http://www.wcug.wwu.edu/lists/ipng/199811/msg00024.html

- A corner case about inbound NA processing
  by Richard Draves (via TAHI test), Jun 2000

  There was a consensus on the behavior, but the text is not clear.
  Need to update.

- Unclear text about StoredLifetime
  by jinmei, Aug 2001
  http://www.wcug.wwu.edu/lists/ipng/200108/msg00541.html

need to clarify the text.

===

Issues that may require some discussion, but will not be very hard to
get consensus:

- Source address selection issues wrt deprecated addresses
  mainly by Richard Draves, several times.
  e.g. which should be preferred between a deprecated address and
  smaller-scope address?

- Deprecated address handling (the semantics of "new communication" is
  not very clear)
  by itojun, Nov 2000 and Aug 2002

  There seemed to be a consensus on a text proposed by Thomas Narten:
  http://www.atm.tut.fi/list-archive/ipng/msg05182.html

  Erik Nordmark made a related point (what if an application specifies
  a deprecated address as a source address):
  http://www.atm.tut.fi/list-archive/ipng/msg05311.html

  There seemed to be no discussion on this, but we may need to
  consider this as well.

- Semantics about the L=0 and A=1 case
  by Fred Templin, Feb 2003

  Thomas Narten said he did not see the need for further
  clarification (which I agree on):
  http://www.atm.tut.fi/list-archive/ipng/msg07820.html

- Conflict with the MLD spec about random delay for the first packet
  by Greg Daley, May 2005
  http://www.atm.tut.fi/list-archive/ipng/msg09614.html

- Using stable storage for autoconfigured addresses
  by Erik Nordmark, Jun 2002
  http://www.atm.tut.fi/list-archive/ipng/msg04383.html

There seemed to be no discussion on this.

===

Issues that may be controversial:

- DAD related issues
  inconsistency in the text (mixture of SHOULD and MAY)
  by itojun, Jun 2001

  What about the link partitioning case
  by Pekka Savola, Jun 2001(?)

  omitting DAD, DAD vs DIID, etc.
  many people, many times

- Possible Denial of Service Attack
  by Ken Powell, Feb 2002
    What if a malicious node intentionally sends prefixes for other LANs?
    There seemed to be no clear consensus.

- The semantics of the M/O flags
  by several people, several times.  Points from Ralph Droms in Mar
  2003 seems to be a good starting point:
  http://www.atm.tut.fi/list-archive/ipng/msg03047.html

  a. the text needs to be updated to use RFC 2119 keywords
  b. which keywords?
  c. what is "the stateful configuration protocol"?
  d. if the answer to "c" is DHCPv6, should RFC 2462 more
     explicitly reference the configuration-only version
     of DHCPv6 in the description of the 'O'flag?

  Adam Machalek also pointed out some inconsistency about mandatory
  level of the stateful configuration protocol:

http://www.atm.tut.fi/list-archive/ipng/msg04363.html

- Whether a (not a host) router can autoconfigure itself using RFC2462
  (or bis) including
    if a router can configure a global address by stateless autoconf
    if a router can configure a link-local address in a way described
    in RFC 2462
    if a router can configure itself about "other" configuration
    information

by several people, several times

- If we need a 'not-yet-ready' status of an autoconfigured address to
  help renumbering operation
  by Fred Baker, Apr 2003
  http://www.atm.tut.fi/list-archive/ipng/msg09394.html

- Avoiding interface failure upon DAD failure
  (mainly) by Jari Arkko, May 2003
  related to mip6.  (the latest draft leaves this as "ND extensions")

- If RFC2462 requires 64bit IFID
  by several people, several times.

- Issues raised in the send requirement draft.
  (Sorry, I've not gone through the send requirement draft.  So there
  may or may not be issues from the draft that need to be added here)