Pekka Savola wrote:
> IMHO, using link-local addresses for anything except well-specified
> purposes (e.g. routing protocols, RFC2461/2, etc.) is really, really
> counter-productive

in your limited world this is undoubtedly true, but there is a wider world
out there.

> -- as you'll have to make those apps be able to
> distinguish the zone identifiers as well, and that's probably
> something we
> DON'T want to do.  But your mileage may vary.
>
> So, I'll conclude by a few questions to give food for thought:
>
>  - does this seem like a  problem, that is, should getaddrinfo() +
>    AI_ADDRCONFIG perform AAAA DNS queries etc. if
>    the node only has v6 link-local/loopback addresses?

It is not a problem if you follow addr selection rules and prefer matching
scopes. This will cause IPv4 to be used if there is only a LL, trying to
talk to a AAAA global.

>  - is getaddrinfo() + link-local addresses something we should support?

Absolutely in the standard. In your specific network, you can turn this off
if it causes you to loose sleep at night.