Hi Eddie,

Well, when I opened this can of worms, I had no idea of how big it was :-).
It might be worthwhile to restate the original problem I was trying to
solve.  That is, it will be common that the initial PMTU estimate made by
DCCP (based on the first-hop MTU) will be wrong, and therefore an
application that wants to use large packets, and relies on that initial
estimate will lose its first few packets.

So, how big a problem is this?  A few points:

 1)     A DCCP app must be able to deal with lost packets at any time, so a
DCCP app must build the necessary recovery mechanisms anyway.

 2)     Recovering from packet loss requires some extra effort when it
happens, and recovering from the loss of the initial packets is often higher
effort than recovering from the loss of later packets.

 3)     No one wants to gratuitously lose packets.

 4)     Many DCCP apps will not use large packets.  Large packets often
imply some delay while the data is accumulated, and many DCCP apps will want
to avoid that delay.

A simple solution, for apps that are bothered by this problem, is to use
something smaller than the initial PMTU DCCP gives.  Maybe the IPv6 min MTU
of 1280 (minus IP and DCCP headers), or maybe say 64 bytes less than the
initial DCCP PMTU (enough to hold an IPv4 IPsec tunnel header and a little
more).  This guideline might cover enough cases to be worthwhile, and the
resulting inefficiency doesn't seem to me to be terrible.

It's also possible for DCCP to get a better initial estimate of the PMTU,
and apparently there are other problems with the current DCCP PMTUD
mechanism (using ICMP "can't fragment" messages).  Since DCCP is an
unreliable packet service rather than a reliable stream service, the PLPMTUD
proposal requires some extensive translation.  Eddie's idea of an initial
probe with padded Acks fits better, and gets around some of the further
issues involved in relying on ICMP messages.  However, it doesn't seem to me
that we can completely abandon IMCP messages.  Since DCCP is unreliable,
that would require some kind of continuous probing to detect mid-connection
changes.

So, my question for the DCCP people, is it worth changing DCCP PMTUD?

Tom P.