> Mark,
>

> >    "Those nodes are NOT RECOMMENDED to support the experimental A6 and
> >    DNAME Resource Records [RFC-3363]."
> >
> >     I object to recommending that DNAME's not be supported.  RFC
> >     3363 does NOT say that.  It says that they shouldn't be use
> >     in the reverse tree for RENUMBERING purposes.  Even then the
> >     logic to get to that decision is DUBIOUS at best.
> >
> >     If RFC 3363 was ever to be revised I would be pushing for the
> >     entire section on DNAME to be removed.  We really should not
> >     be saying were in the DNS tree DNAME can be used.
> >
> >     RFC 3363 most definitly does not recommend that DNAMES be not
> >     supported.
>
> So, what should the document say?  The Node Requirements doc shouldn't
> update RFC-3363, so that would be another issue.

        It may however pay us to rev RFC-3363 just to remove the
        offending section prior to getting out the node requirements.

> 3363 does say:
>
>    The issues for DNAME in the reverse mapping tree appears to be
>    closely tied to the need to use fragmented A6 in the main tree: if
>    one is necessary, so is the other, and if one isn't necessary, the
>    other isn't either.  Therefore, in moving RFC 2874 to experimental,
>    the intent of this document is that use of DNAME RRs in the reverse
>    tree be deprecated.
>
> How about:
>
>     "Those nodes are NOT RECOMMENDED to support the experimental A6
>      Resource Records [RFC-3363]. Usage of DNAME Reseource Records in
>      the reverse tree is deprecated."
>
> John

        Just don't mention DNAME at all.  Note DNAME support will
        be manditory with DNSSEC so the only issue is whether we
        discourage the use under IP6.ARPA which I (and lots of others
        in dnsext) now believe we got wrong.

       "Those nodes are NOT RECOMMENDED to support the experimental A6
        Resource Records [RFC-3363]."

        Mark

> >     I really suspect that we will want to use DNAME for renumbering
> >     even without A6 and bit-string labels.  Trying to get
> >     multiple levels of delegation updated quickly is a pain.
> >     Just look at the problems we are having going from IP6.INT
> >     to IP6.ARPA.  Do we want this pain level with every renumber
> >     event.
> >
> >     Mark
> > --
> > Mark Andrews, ISC
> > 1 Seymour St., Dundas Valley, NSW 2117, Australia
> > PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]