Thus spake "Jyrki Soini" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> There is discussion and motivation why ICMPv6 error messages in general
> case MUST NOT be send in response to multicast packets. In contrast
> ICMP Echo Reply message has the following text:
>
>   "An Echo Reply SHOULD be sent in response to an Echo Request message
>    sent to an IPv6 multicast or anycast address.  In this case, the
>    source address of the reply MUST be a unicast address belonging to
>    the interface on which the Echo Request message was received."
>
> Even though ping to multicast addresses has some operational use for
> instance to diagnose multicast propagation issues, I find it hard to
justify
> this when comparing to potential risks as an DoS attack mechanism.
> Once we are updating the standard, should we make this behaviour
> deprecated and write instead:

How can this possibly be used as a DoS attack?  Multicast inherently
prevents source address spoofing, at least outside the sender's own subnet.

Stephen Sprunk        "Stupid people surround themselves with smart
CCIE #3723           people.  Smart people surround themselves with
K5SSS         smart people who disagree with them."  --Aaron Sorkin