Quick checks:

>> - what hosts should do if the M/O flags keep being cleared; e.g.,
>> does this mean the hosts should not invoke the protocols?

> => Stateless is a MUST according to the Node requirements. Now, if an
> implementation
> decided to use DHCP when the flags are set, then there are two cases to
> consider:

do you mean the case when the flags are NOT set?  (I talked about the
case where the flags are "cleared").

And you actually meant "three" cases to consider instead of "two":-)

>  a. No DHCP server. This will be discovered pretty soon.
>  b. DHCP exists and address is allocated
>  c. DHCP exists but since admin doesn't want it to be used for address
> allocation
>     it won't allocate an address.

> All of those cases will render a definite outcome so there is no need to tell
> the
> host what to do in this case. I.e. no interop issues.

Not sure about your intention, but a few additional clarifications:

Detecting non existence of DHCPv6 servers is a quite time-consuming
process rather than "pretty soon", at least protocol-wise.  In fact,
according to RFC3315, we can never "detect" the non existence since
MRC and MRT are both 0 for DHCPv6 solicit and information request
messages, which means we should try to find servers forever.

Also, when we are talking about the O flag, we should note that it
is not directly relevant to address allocation.

                                        JINMEI, Tatuya
                                        Communication Platform Lab.
                                        Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.