Ralph,

While the functions may be independent, wouldn't it be better
if we had a unified set of messages for accessing the functions?
(I'm thinking some sort of hybrid fusion of the RFC2461 ND
and RFC3315 DHCPv6 messages.) Perhaps it is too late in the
game to even consider this...

Fred
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Ralph Droms wrote:

Christian - where have you seen phrases like "do DHCP, and only if it fails
do auto-config." They are clearly wrong. SLAAC and DHCPv6 are clearly
independent - a host can use neither, one or the other or both - and are
controlled independently. If that independence is not clear in the specs,
than we should fix the text in the specs.

- Ralph