From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Barany, Pete
Sent: Saturday, December 20, 2003 9:01 AM
To: Brian Haberman; Stephen Sprunk
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Question about Interface ID length

More generally, I still don't see why there is a restriction on the
prefix length for all IPv6 unicast addresses where the first 3 MSBs are
other than 000. I could understand the wording in RFC 3513 (and RFC
3513bis) if the restriction was intended for "unicast addresses that are
configured via stateless address autoconfiguration" (thus my initial
comment about the need to update RFC 2462bis). But some operators may
want to use DHCPv6 (stateful address autoconfiguration) where there is
no concept of prefixes per se (just 128 bit addresses). Therefore, as an
example, if an operator wanted to have a /65 subnet(or some other subnet
where the prefix is greater than /64) (and I am not saying that this is
a good idea), at least the RFCs wouldn't prohibit it in the
present/future. It seems like an unnecessary/unwise limitation IMHO.

Regards,

Pete