> As far as 2461bis is concerned it is stated in the
> current draft that setting the M flag implies that
> DHCPv6 is used for address config. If the O flag
> is set, the draft refers to DHCPv6 for other config
> parameters. RFC 3315 is also referenced.

> Please see section 4.2, definition of the M and O
> flags. If there are no further comments I'll close
> this issue.

Assuming we've reached a consensus in a similar issue for 2462bis (at
least several people explicitly agreed on the proposal in this list
and I've not seen any objections) and the consensus applies to 2461bis
too, I think the text could be revised a bit more.

Roughly speaking, the "consensus" is:

- clearly specify the protocols for the flags: RFC3315 for M and
  RFC3736 for O
- clarify (change) the meaning of the M/O flags; they are just hints
  of availability of the corresponding services, not triggers for
  invoking the protocols under a certain level of requirement
- leave the actual usage of the M/O flags will be used to a separate
  document.  rfc2462bis mentions the other document

(see the following URL for more details
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipv6/current/msg02616.html)

According to the above and to be more aligned with the forthcoming
rfc2462bis, I'd revise the definitions of M/O flags like this:

      M              1-bit "Managed address configuration" flag.  When
                     set, it indicates Dynamic Host Configuration
                     Protocol [DHCPv6] is avialable for address
                     autoconfiguration in addition to any addresses
                     autoconfigured using stateless address
                     autoconfiguration.  More details of this flag is
                     described in [ADDRCONF].

      O              1-bit "Other stateful configuration" flag.  When
                     set, it indicates a subset of DHCPv6 [RFC3736] is
                     available for autoconfiguration of other
                     (non-address) information. Examples of such
                     information are DNS-related information or
                     information on other servers within the
                     network. More details of this flag is described
                     in [ADDRCONF].

                                        JINMEI, Tatuya
                                        Communication Platform Lab.
                                        Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.