Thus spake "Geoff Huston" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> At 05:52 PM 7/07/2004, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> >Stephen Sprunk wrote:
> > > ... Given the
> >>inevitability of collisions in the locally-assigned space, it doesn't
seem
> >>logical to allow them in the global reverse tree.
> >
> >There is no inevitability - on the contrary, there is a very low
> >probability. But I agree with the conclusion, since I don't think
> >either kind of ULA has any business in the global DNS.
>
> But we appear to be on last call with a document that recommends
> all flavours of ULA can have PTR records in the global DNS.
> (and the collision probability for locally assigned ULA's PTR records
> is the birthday probability, which exceeds 0.5 for 1.24 million entries.)
> i.e.  at least for the local assigned ULAs global DNS PTRs appears to
> me to be something you don;t want to put in the global DNS.

I never intended locally-generated addresses to be in the global DNS, either
forward or reverse, but there is nothing wrong with them being in a local
DNS (via split horizon) if desired.  At least some of the text applying to
centrally-assigned addresses is only in the locally-generated draft and
should have been moved, copied, or modified.

Did I miss the split drafts being circulated on this list before they were
sent for Last Call?

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov