(B > It seems like in 2461bis-00.txt that the introduction of IsRouter in
(B > 6.2.1 is inconsistent with the text in 6.2.2 about
(B > AdvSendAdvertisements.
(B >
(B > RFC 2461 reads as if a node "advertises" itself as a router
(B > (by sending RAs
(B > and setting the R-flag in NAs any time AdvSendAdvertisements is set.
(B > Thus the "AdvSendIsRouter" is really the same as
(B > AdvSendAdvertisements.
(B > (Note that reusing "IsRouter" is confusing since that is the name of
(B > the conceptual per-neighbor cache entry variable.)
(B
(B=> Yes (to the note in brackets), I noticed that but when I looked at the
(Brest of the text regarding the IsRouter definition and processing (including
(Bthe appendix) I thought that it would pass for that dual use. I was hoping
(Bthat we can separate the enabling of forwarding from the sending of
(Brouter advertisements. Practically, it's probably not a big deal but it seems
(Bcleaner to separate those two functions. However, I think it's difficult to
(Bachieve this in a backward compatible way given the text in 2461.
(B
(BSo I agree with your suggested text below.
(B
(BThanks,
(BHesham
(B
(B >
(B > Thus I think we can accomplish the intended clarification by
(B > changing section
(B > 6.2.1 FROM
(B >       IsRouter       A flag indicating whether routing is enabled on
(B >                      this interface. Enabling routing on the
(B > interface
(B >                      would imply that a router can forward packets
(B >                      to or from the interface.
(B >
(B >                      Default: FALSE
(B >
(B >       AdvSendAdvertisements
(B >                      A flag indicating whether or not the
(B > router sends
(B >                      periodic Router Advertisements and responds to
(B >                      Router Solicitations.
(B > TO
(B >       AdvSendAdvertisements
(B >                      A flag indicating whether or not the
(B > node performs all of
(B >                      - sends periodic Router Advertisements,
(B >                      - responds to Router Solicitations, and
(B >                      - forwards packets to or from the interface.
(B >                   In short, whether or not the node behaves
(B > as a router
(B >                   on the interface.
(B >                   In particular, AdvSendAdvertisements
(B > affects whether
(B >                   the R-flag in the Neighbor Advertisement
(B > messages is set.
(B >
(B >    Erik
(B >
(B >
(B >
(B > --------------------------------------------------------------------
(B > IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
(B > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(B > Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
(B >
(B
(BThis email may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use
(B of the intended recipient.  Any review or distribution by others is strictly
(B prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient please contact the sender
(B and delete all copies.