>> I think we should limit the applicability to hosts, and if
>> NEMO WG needs a router equivalent let them develop it :-)
>> Comments anyone?

> Works for me.

For that matter, works for me, too.

>> > How about saying
>> >    When the DAD timer completes without incident,
>> >    the address becomes a Preferred or a Deprecated address based on its
>> >    preferred lifetime.
>>
>> OK.  Jinmei was unhappy with 'DAD Timer', too ... any suggestions
>> of how I can unambiguously explain what I mean?  I don't like
>> "when DAD completes", because I don't think it's clear enough
>> either ...

> Hm - this is the result of an implementation suggestion.
> Conceptually the address is either preferred or deprecated, and
> in addition it is marked as optimistic for some time
> and all uses of the address should treat it as deprecated while
> it is marked as optimistic.

> Thus the implementation suggestion is to actually mark is as deprecated
> while it is optimistic, and undo this when it is no longer optimistic.
> Since this is about implementations, perhaps it can be lifed out to an appendix
> where it can be explained in a bit more detail.

I'm afraid we're talking about different things...regarding the point
that an address does not necessarily become preferred, I totally agree
with you (in fact, I pointed out the same thing in my own comments).

The very point here is just a wording issue about the term "DAD
timer".  I said I was unhappy with this simply because it sounds like
a technical term for which the reader would go find the definition
(but it is actually defined nowhere).

In this sense, your suggested text would simply be:

    When DAD completes without incident,
    the address becomes a Preferred or a Deprecated address based on its
    preferred lifetime.

Going back to Nick's question:

>> OK.  Jinmei was unhappy with 'DAD Timer', too ... any suggestions
>> of how I can unambiguously explain what I mean?  I don't like
>> "when DAD completes", because I don't think it's clear enough
>> either ...

For me, "when DAD completes" and "When the DAD timer completes" are
equally ambiguous, but I admit this is a matter of taste.

But note that even RFC2462 uses a phrase like "when DAD completes": it
says in Section 5.4 that

   An address on which the duplicate Address Detection Procedure is
   applied is said to be tentative until the procedure has completed
                                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   successfully.

No one has never claimed that this is ambiguous, and rfc2462bis also
uses this phrase as was in RFC2462.

Moreover, even the optimistic DAD draft uses this (kind of) term.  To
name a few:

   Tentative Address - an address for which a node has not yet completed
                                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
        DAD is regarded as Tentative: a single Neighbour Solicitation ...
        ^^^
   (Section 1.3)

   Optimistic Address - an address which is available for use despite
        DAD not being fully complete.
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   (Section 1.3)

   * (adds to 7.2.6)  The Optimistic node MAY send an unsolicited NA to
        All Nodes when it completes DAD. The Override flag on this
        advertisement SHOULD be set (O=1).
   (Section 3.1)

If you still think we need to avoid the term "DAD completes" for
clarity, I'll try to suggest a better approach.

                                        JINMEI, Tatuya
                                        Communication Platform Lab.
                                        Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.