Mukesh,

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Fred,
[...]

If the router starts looking the protocol type field in the IPv6
header and behave differently for each type of packet, IMHO it will become a firewall or a packet filter :)

Routers are designed for traffic policing and shaping, and so the router would just do this as part of its job. No firewall, or packet filter though (-:...

I agree with Pekka and Havard. This will be fixing (or
rather patching) the problem at the wrong place.

Yes. But one could ask so what? Blaming the host, and shaping the traffic have both their role here.

As Pekka already said that this issue is not just with
ICMPv6 but with any bad traffic. For what all bad traffic a router should perform rate limiting for is a general
question and should be completely outside the scope of
the ICMPv6 Protocol spec.

Does this ICMPv6 scope conform with the reality of the spec, or just with some thinking of how the spec should be? Do we need to use some magic for instance to see in the text the word "originate" instead of "send"?

So then we write a separate ICMP specification just
to help us figure out how/howmuch to rate limit the forwarded ICMP messages, right?

Imagine we have written that. How would that be different from Section 2.4 (f)?

And then let's imagine that we merge the two together.

How would that look? Would look like Section 2.4 (f)? Is there a good probability?

If technically the rate limiting operation for forwarding ICMP is pretty much the same as for ICMP origination, why can't we have it in one document?

Why can't we have it in the ICMP spec?

Or maybe we have it already and we had it there for the longest time.... What is wrong with that? In my view nothing.

Regards,
Alex
Regards
Mukesh