If the flow label is included in the ICV, then a theft of service attack will result
in a complete loss of communication between source and destination(s). If the flow
label is not included in the ICV, then a theft of service attack will result in
possibly lower QoS (in a benign situation), but not necessarily complete loss of
communications, unless the theft of service attack becomes a denial of service attack.

=> That's because you are assuming that the flow label can only
be used for QoS related applications. Even if we go with this
assumption, if a real time app gets treated as a best effort
app then effectively there is no real time communication.

=>BTW, if someone is able to modify the header and wants to deny
all communication for a node, I have another way to do it, change
either address in the header! You don't need the flow label to do
that...

Hesham

As the RFC states, anyone capable of spoofing the flow label can also spoof the
addresses (which are definitely included in the ICV), so it's not entirely clear to me
whether inclusion of the flow label in the ICV computation is desirable or not, in AH.
Maybe it's a toss-up?

Non-inclusion of the flow label in the ICV computation allows for a sort of higher
granularity theft of service attack. Rather than all or nothing, it allows an attacker
to tweak the QoS, potentially.

To actually protect an e2e flow with QoS, you would probably need to use ESP to
protect some or all of the hop by hop routing options. That would drive the protected
QoS packets along a specified, protected route that a hacker would presumably not
know, and therefore would have a harder time hacking.

Bert

This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use
 of the intended recipient.  Any review or distribution by others is strictly
 prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient please contact the sender
 and delete all copies.