On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 03:02:46PM +0200, Francis Dupont wrote:
>  In your previous mail you wrote:
>
>    after we experimented a lot with (especially short) lifetimes on various
>
> => short prefix lifetimes are not the common case: prefix lifetimes
> are at least in months and are announced in days. And don't forget
> the 2 hour rule.
>
>    platforms and tested renumbering procedures, I have an urgent question.
>
>    Shouldn't a client react when its valid lifetime times out and the
>    interface loses the address?
>
> => no but it can react to the lost of all default routers (default
> lifetime is 600 seconds, maximum is 1800 seconds).

Or in other words. The lifetime should be much longer than the RA
period. Then you should only lose all addresses if no RA's are sent
by router, or link is broken. There should be no reason to send an RS
then.

There are some events that perhaps should trigger an RS, e.g when
moving to new network (dna).

Stig