From: Nimrod Sterrn [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Monday, October 04, 2004 2:38 PM
To: arvind saproo
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Query:IPv6 Over ATM PVC Operation

see my comments in ==>

-----Original Message-----
From: arvind saproo [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Fri, October 01, 2004 3:44 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Query:IPv6 Over ATM PVC Operation

Hi, I have the following query regarding IPv6 Over ATM PVC operation
(rfc2492).
I would appreciate if someone could answer the same.

Query -
===== RFC does not clearly mention what to fill as the Source/Target
Link Layer address in the Source/Target Link Layer options of IND (Inverse ND) messages.

Also, there is no mention of any reference document which
covers the same.

All that is said is [Section 3. PVC Environments] -

"Since ATM PVC links do not use link-layer addresses, the link-layer
address options SHOULD not be included in any ND message [11].  If a
link-layer address option is present in an ND message, then the
option SHOULD be ignored."

==> It may be confusing after reading RFC3122 (inverse ND) which requires
it as part of the solicitation (src and dst LL address) and reply (target LL address).
but since PVC in "permanent" its not needed (?!)
Does this mean that we zero fill the Link Layer address in Source/Target Link Layer options of the IND messages?

This information must be clearly mentioned to avoid interoperability issues.

Thanks for your time,
Rgds,
arvind