Hi.

Quoting from S5.2:

   Next-hop determination for a given unicast destination operates as
   follows.  The sender performs a longest prefix match against the
   Prefix List to determine whether the packet's destination is on- or
   off-link.  If the destination is on-link, the next-hop address is the
   same as the packet's destination address.  Otherwise, the sender
   selects a router from the Default Router List (following the rules
   described in Section 6.3.6).

So if there are no routers admitting to be connected to the link and the
prefix list is empty (no routers to fill it), what happens here?  Presumably
the longest prefix match will fail implying that the address is off link.
Hence we have to find a router, but there isn't one.  What do we do with the
packet?

With a point-to-point link (like the tunnels) we could just stuff the packet
down the link and hand off the decision to the other end.  For an isolated
multiaccess link the decision is not so simple: Just having our own address
doesn't allow us to decide whether any other address is on link, so if the
destination is not in the neighbor cache already what do we do? Toss the
packet or assume it is on-link? Being able to configure an on-link prefix
would solve the problem IMO.

Am I missing something here?

Regards,
elwyn