Okay, there seems to be some level of agreement on the fundamental
point(s), so I'm now coming back to the original comments.

I believe I've proposed resolutions to most of the comments in my
in this message.

>     The stateless approach is used when a site is not particularly
>     concerned with the exact addresses hosts use, so long as they are
>     unique and properly routable.  The stateful approach is used when a
>     site requires tighter control over exact address assignments.  Both
>     stateful and stateless address autoconfiguration may be used
>     simultaneously.  The site administrator specifies which type of
>     autoconfiguration is available through the setting of appropriate
>     fields in Router Advertisement messages [I-D.ietf-ipv6-2461bis].

>>> Given this normative reference, would it make sense to hold
>>> 2462bis until 2461bis is completed and send them forward together?
>>> Otherwise, this will just block in the RFC Editor, and we won't
>>> have the ability to change it again if we discover issue while
>>> finishing the 2461 update.  Thoughts?

I basically think we should publish 2461bis and 2462bis at the same
timing with consistent changes.  So, it would make sense to hold one
of them until the other is done at some stage.  I'm not really sure
which point is the best, though.  Perhaps just before the IETF last
call (and the IESG evaluation)?

> 2.  TERMINOLOGY

>>> Is this terminology section intended to be in logical order?  Is
>>> there a reason to prefer this order over an alphabetical listing?

Hmm, I don't know...I just followed the same ordering convention as
RFC2462 (in fact, I don't think I even added/removed terminologies, so
I believe the ordering is exactly the same).  I don't have a strong
opinion on this, but there at least seems to be some ordering
dependency.  For example, in the following sequence,

   router - a node that forwards IP packets not explicitly addressed to
      itself.

   host - any node that is not a router.

it should be natural to put "host" after "router" (rather than in an
alphabetical order).

So, unless you have a strong demand to reorder the terminologies, I'd
slightly prefer to keep the current ordering.

>     Nodes (both hosts and routers) begin the autoconfiguration process by
>     generating a link-local address for the interface.  A link-local
>     address is formed by appending the interface's identifier to the
>     well-known link-local prefix.

>>> I think that there should be a reference to the addressing
>>> architecture or the scoped address architecture here...  Something
>>> that tells me how I actually create a link-local address.

Okay, then I'll add a reference to the addressing architecture RFC
(RFC3513) here.  (I don't think the scope arch doc is an appropriate
reference in this context.)

>     Router Advertisements also contain zero or more Prefix Information
>     options that contain information used by stateless address
>     autoconfiguration to generate global addresses.  It should be noted
>     that the stateless and stateful address autoconfiguration fields in
>     Router Advertisements are processed independently of one another, and
>     a host may use both stateful and stateless address autoconfiguration
>     simultaneously.  One Prefix Information option field, the "autonomous
>     address-configuration flag", indicates whether or not the option even
>     applies to stateless autoconfiguration.  If it does, additional
>     option fields contain a subnet prefix together with lifetime values
>     indicating how long addresses created from the prefix remain
>     preferred and valid.

>>> What happens if the value of the "autonomous address-configuration
>>> flag" changes over time?

My understanding is that the change means nothing; if the "autonomous
address-configuration (A) flag" is not set, the corresponding prefix
simply isn't used for the address autoconfiguration protocol (creating
a new address or updating an existing one).  I think this point is
pretty clear in Section 5.5.3, and I personally don't see the need for
describing the details in the "overview" section.  What do you think?

>     For safety, all addresses must be tested for uniqueness prior to
>     their assignment to an interface.  The test should individually be
>     performed on all addresses obtained manually, via stateless address
>     autoconfiguration, or via stateful address autoconfiguration.  To
>     accommodate sites that believe the overhead of performing Duplicate
>     Address Detection outweighs its benefits, the use of Duplicate
>     Address Detection can be disabled through the administrative setting
>     of a per-interface configuration flag.

>>> I am not sure how the last sentence is consistent with the must in
>>> the first sentence.  Change the must in the first sentence to a
>>> should?

I agree this is a bit confusing.  Since it's not a RFC2119 keyword
(i.e., not MUST), I believe this is just a wording issue.  I'm fine
with chaing "must" to "should", but I'd say "all addresses must
basically be tested".  Do you have any preference or other
suggestions?

                                        JINMEI, Tatuya
                                        Communication Platform Lab.
                                        Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
                                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

p.s. again, I believe I've addressed the rest of the comments (in that
I've proposed resolutions), either directly or as a side effect, but
I've left those points below just in case I missed something.