> ... I spoke to the NOC about it, and found out that they had only
> allocated enough address space for 256 hosts, and there were well over
300
> people in the room, many of whom were knowledgable networking
researchers.
> Somebody was ARP spoofing, stealing addresses because not enough had
been
> allocated. ARP spoofing is one of the threats SEND is designed to
counter,
> so if IPv6/SEND had been deployed, this attack would not have been
> possible.

If IPv6 had been deployed, the router would have announced a /64, and
there would have been addresses available for everybody...

> ... (and this is a particular problem for 802.11
> because the management frames are completely unprotected). The spoofer
> cannot, however, claim frames holding packets having your IP address
if
> SEND
> is used, because the mapping is protected.

The mapping is protected but, unless the network implements 802.1X and
negotiates different keys for each station, the attacker has no
difficulty getting a copy of your packets, or sending packets from a
spoofed MAC address.

Don't get me wrong, I like SEND. My point was just that if we allow
"transparent" bridges at all, then we essentially allow the same
man-in-the-middle attacks that are also possible with ND proxy.

-- Christian Huitema