On Tue, 15 Feb 2005, Soliman, Hesham wrote:
> This does not solve my wording issue.  The paragraph just describes
> how _routers_ perform inbound load balancing.  How about hosts which
> don't send RAs?

=> What do you suggest?

The paragraph now reads:

     Inbound load balancing - Nodes with replicated interfaces may want
           to load balance the reception of incoming packets across
           multiple network interfaces on the same link.  Such nodes
           have multiple link-layer addresses assigned to the same
           interface.  For example, a single network driver could
           represent multiple network interface cards as a single
           logical interface having multiple link-layer addresses.

           Load balancing is handled by allowing routers to omit the
           source link-layer address from Router Advertisement packets,
           thereby forcing neighbors to use Neighbor Solicitation
           messages to learn link-layer addresses of routers.  Returned
           Neighbor Advertisement messages can then contain link-layer
           addresses that differ depending on who issued the
           solicitation.

Maybe just add a sentence at the start of the second paragraph:

           Hosts cannot perform inbound load balancing.

(Another place to put this would be after the first sentence.)

The longer story: because hosts would have to do this with omitting the link-layer address from Neighbor Advertisements, this is not possible because the spec requires that lladdr MUST be included for multicast solicitations, and may be omitted for unicast solicitations; but in the latter case, as the solicitor already knows the address, there is no load balancing to happen (at least in the similar manner)..