Dave Thaler wrote:

Whenever any IPv4 packet is to be forwarded out an interface
whose MTU is smaller than the size of the packet, and the Dont Fragment bit is set, the ARP proxy drops the packet and sends a Fragmentation Needed message back to the source.

Similarly, whenever any IPv6 packet is to be forwarded out an
Interface whose MTU is smaller than the size of the packet, the ND proxy drops the packet and sends a Packet Too Big message
back to the source, as described in [ICMPv6].

Given that the proxy is invisible at L3, I think it would make sense to add explicit statements about any constraints on the IP source address to use when the proxy generates ICMP errors.

I believe the ICMPv* specifications say to use an IP address assigned to either the interface where the packet in error arrived, or assigned to the interface on which the error is sent, but in the case of a proxy there might be a single IP address assigned to all the proxy interfaces for all I know.

   Erik